Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Power Grid Probleems

Cities and towns across the North Island were plunged into darkness on one of the coldest nights of the year, after nationwide demand for electricity reached an all-time high.

Power generation failed to meet demand across New Zealand on Monday evening. Tens of thousands of households were affected by mass power cuts as a result.

The national grid operator Transpower declared a “grid emergency” at 7pm and asked local distribution companies to reduce load on their networks, a spokeswoman for the organisation, Deborah Gray, said.

It was the first time in 10 years that such an emergency had happened. Transpower asked all of its customers to reduce power use initially.

Luke Blincoe, chief executive of The Energy Collective, said the failure for generation to keep up with demand was "not a symptom of a functional market".

Unison, which distributes power to Hawke's Bay, Taupō and Rotorua, said in a Facebook post about 8pm that there were rolling power outages across its network.

"We fully understand that these outages are frustrating and inconvenient, especially given the current cold snap hitting our regions,” the post said.

Controlled hot-water systems across its network had been switched off to reduce network load and would be progressively switched back on overnight.

Temperatures in Napier and Taupō were sitting at around 4C. It was 3C in Rotorua.
    In an update at 9pm, Unison said “We sincerely apologise that we were unable to provide you with information about these outages earlier, but this was a very dynamic and quickly evolving situation. We appreciate your understanding and support," the Facebook post said.

WEL Networks, which is responsible for supplying the Waikato with power, cut off power in some areas of the region, including parts of Hamilton and warned customers in a post on its Facebook page just before 8pm to expect rolling outages.

“As a precautionary measure, all medically dependent customers are advised to action their back-up plans or go to Waikato Hospital if required.”

Minister of Energy and Resources Megan Woods spoke to the chief executive of Transpower, Alison Andrew, on Monday evening. However, she didn’t want to make any any further comment until she had more information.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL.............all those heatpumps. Fireplaces rule IMO.
    And now they want to ban petrol and add car charging to it.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Power Grid Probleems

Did you lose yours Helen. Not all areas around Napier went down apparently Ours went off just as I had sat down with a full cup of coffee. Talk about lucky! I have a balance problem that is okay when I can see things but it all turns to shite when it is dark and I have fallen in those circumstances. I just sat there till SWMBO got a torch and lit some candles. Real 3rd world event.

Ken

Bleakly Optomistic

We were Ok where I live but this reminds me when I was a kid in the 1950s with rolling power cuts due to lack of generation.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    We were Ok where I live but this reminds me when I was a kid in the 1950s with rolling power cuts due to lack of generation.
    Yes. I remember that. We quite often had a power cut on a Sunday afternoon.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Our Area was OK, the lights slightly flickered once I think, or could have been the TV changing brightness on the picture, don't know was on the computer.

But yep, as piroska commented -- And they want to have a lot more electric cars charging -- Just goes to show how ill prepared they really are.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    And back then everyone had an open fireplace for warmth and often a coal range for hot water and cooking. Most homes built since about 1970 are dependent apon electricity and or natural gas. If the power goes out we are in the s**t.

VoidMaster

No planning for "outlier events" which will become increasingly common as time goes on.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Did you lose yours Helen.

Ken
    No.
    We only seem to lose ours when the ******s crash into the power poles (with transformer) down Riverbend.
    Which is fairly regularly....

I'd love to put a woodburner in though, my mum doesn't care for the idea so it will have to wait.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    No planning for "outlier events" which will become increasingly common as time goes on.
    Thats the NZ way of doing things
    no redundancy
    no maintenance or replacing old infrastructure
    no building more infrastructure to cope with increase in population from 3million to 5+ Million people

wait untill it breaks, then start the blame game.

thats why Ak has a water crisis every few years
    why parts of the Ak CBD had no power for a month or so after the last working main hivolt power cable broke
    why Ak Airport ran out of Av Gas (pipe broke)
    why Ak traffic was stuffed when the harbour bridge was damaged

If you want to spend $800,000 painting a Henderson intersections road blue, or a Million on some statue no one wanted : no issues finding money to waste on useless pet projects .