Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VoidMaster

Default Re: Phones for the deaf

When you say someone is blind it carries connotations of barely functioning on a normal level, possible incompetent when it comes to tasks sighted people have no problem with and generally not up to par, whereas using the newer terminology it's implied that this is an otherwise normal person with full mental faculties who is having some problems and not a person who is less than normal because of their deficiencies whatever they are, an attempt not to push them down by giving a label that implies inbuilt problems on the mental level.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    When you say someone is blind it carries connotations of barely functioning on a normal level, possible incompetent when it comes to tasks sighted people have no problem with and generally not up to par, whereas using the newer terminology it's implied that this is an otherwise normal person with full mental faculties who is having some problems and not a person who is less than normal because of their deficiencies whatever they are, an attempt not to push them down by giving a label that implies inbuilt problems on the mental level.
    So if I were "Blind Drunk" what category would I be in?
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    So if I were "Blind Drunk" what category would I be in?
    Very good, BM. I'd like to know the answer. Let me know when you find out.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Very good, BM. I'd like to know the answer. Let me know when you find out.
    From memory, I think “Arrested and Imprisoned” might be the answer?

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

VoidMaster

The "blind" bit in blind drunk implies virtually paralytic, as I said the 'blind' bit implies helplessness and incompetence/inability to function.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    The "blind" bit in blind drunk implies virtually paralytic, as I said the 'blind' bit implies helplessness and incompetence/inability to function.
    I agree zqwerty, but the difference is a “Blind Drunk” person will probably be fully recovered in the next day, or two, and be able to get on his horse without falling off the other side.

So, as I see it, he was only "temporally impaired"?

What category does he come in then?

Most androids (not an iPhone user so can't comment) can also be set to have their camera flash start flashing when an incoming call is detected too - if the volume/vibrate isn't working so well. If the phone is sitting on the table for example.

Also Rogervoice does a not bad job of translating incoming voice calls to text, its not perfect and depends on the person speaking, but could be of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    We like to live on the edge.

I use a hearing aid for TV, and speech. The sound distorts very easily, so it is a matter of getting a balance between volume & frequency. I can usually understand a woman's voice but have problems with male voices.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    An elderly Mate (81) has trouble hearing the phone ringing when he has his Hearing Aids out.gbwhatsapp

He also has trouble hearing the speech, but tells me he can hear speech better with his Hearing Aids out.

Any Suggestions as to what may help?
    I would imagine a notification LED is a must-have accessory for someone in your position.

If you don't get a phone with an LED, there's a handy app for that: NoLED

I use it on my Fascinate, since I was used to the LED on my old Droid1. It's pretty handy, and there's a weather plugin that I have no experience with.

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

So I am hearing impaired, find using a phone for calls very difficult, louder does not always mean better to hear.
    But in saying this I do find that the amount of cold calls, and calls for appointments even tho you ask to communicate via text or email seems to not be understood.
    The fact I tell them to put this on my file lol makes know difference it seems, people even when speaking to them and saying I'm struggling to understand what you are saying does not always compute with them. I broke my arm this year so physio and drs appointments, hospital apts have been numerous
    My bank is one of these places that seem to love doing cold calls as well as my insurance places?

I dont hear the phone without my aids in my ears. I sleep through smoke alarms it seems also. So a very loud alarm clock i currently have works. Lights on too, but its up to someone to turn the light on to wake me
    Eventually I will be completely deaf Ive been told. I hate using a phone for calls. I watch tv with subtitles but still have the sound on

Sorry I got slightly off topic.

Im glad your friends phone is working good
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.