Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF??

Default WTF??

Just received a "reminder" from Vodafone to make payment before the due date to avoid the late payment fee of $18.40 and any interruptions of services.

The amount due is $40.35

How can they justify such an exorbitant charge?

Is it even legal?

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

Default Re: WTF??

That's a std Over due fee amount. My mobile accounts which on average is $60 (in round figures) and the monthly Vodafone account, TV, Internet, Landlines, and about a hundred other add ons has the same amount ($18.40) if payment is late.

So doesn't matter if the invoice is Low or high = same amount if not paid on time.

Edited: that's why they are setup for auto weekly payments - never late then.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 10-06-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Duopoly.

Like supermarkets.

Just received a "reminder" from Vodafone to make payment before the due date to avoid the late payment fee of $18.40 and any interruptions of services.

The amount due is $40.35

Is it even legal?
    Ask them to justify it and see what happens.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

The amount due is $40.35

Is it even legal?
    It shouldn't be legal but you know.. business is gunna business. Not like any government is going to get in their way.

I remember reading an article recently for services like afterpay and laybuy where a late payment of any amount attracts a late payment fee of $10. That can be on a purchase as low as $70 split across four weeks, and they were making a significant percent of profits on late payment fees.

Nuts.

Is it even legal?
    it shouldn't be legal but you know
    Just adding to comment last night - YES it is legal as you agreed to it when the terms and conditions were accepted.

Number 3.2

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/legal/ter...due%20amounts.

And I like everyone else of course it was fully read before agreeing Who ever reads them.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-06-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Yes its legal, and no they cant charge what ever late fee they want

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...ollection-fees
    "If a service provider includes terms in its contract allowing it to recover late payment or debt collection fees, these costs must still be reasonable.
    "Under the FTA, unfair terms are banned from standard form consumer contracts"

They can also charge you additional costs to recover any unpaid debt , eg debt collection fees etc . But they have to state that either on one of the invoices or the original contract .

I may be wrong, but late fees can only cover their actual expenses and cant be punitive .
    I dont know how they can charge $18 for an automated system , if overdue by a single day . But they have accountants who come up with ways to justify that .

Vodafone have a bad reputation. I can tell you stories....true ones of devious things they did....
    Go 2 Degrees or Skinny.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I dont know how they can charge $18 for an automated system , if overdue by a single day . But they have accountants who come up with ways to justify that .
    That's the same with Banks -- they charge fees for various things on a monthly basis, and its all automatic, not like theres a person sitting there working out fees for every customer.

Simple with ISP's and other places -- DONT be late paying your bills -- Problem solved

Edited:
    these costs must still be reasonable
    If you have to take a person to debt collections its WAY more than $18 to set the wheels in motion. There's been times I have had to write off invoices as it was costing more in time and hassle to take them to debt collections.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-06-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That's the same with Banks -- they charge fees for various things on a monthly basis, and its all automatic, not like theres a person sitting there working out fees for every customer.

Simple with ISP's and other places -- DONT be late paying your bills -- Problem solved

Edited:
    If you have to take a person to debt collections its WAY more than $18 to set the wheels in motion. There's been times I have had to write off invoices as it was costing more in time and hassle to take them to debt collections.
    I remember years and years ago bluffing vodafone and saying that I would pay the late fee (bank mixup meant the AP didn't go out) and then move to Telecom.

They waived it pretty quick, ymmv.