Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Speeds

Old guy

Default WiFi Speeds

I recall a while back stating that there was no difference between the speed I received from either wired or wireless devices. At the time I had a 100Mbps down 20Mbps up Fiber connection. That statement was true at the time. One week ago I upgraded my connection to Max speed and there is now a very significant difference with wired devices getting close to 1GB down and around 500Mbps up while my wireless devices are getting less than half that speed at best. The limiting factor is not only my current Access Point but also it appears that individual devices also have there own speed limitations. Never the less I am very happy with what I have now and everything works very well indeed. I do feel a bit embarrassed about making my earlier claim which was quite obviously incorrect.

Default Re: WiFi Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I recall a while back stating that there was no difference between the speed I received from either wired or wireless devices. At the time I had a 100Mbps down 20Mbps up Fiber connection. That statement was true at the time. One week ago I upgraded my connection to Max speed and there is now a very significant difference with wired devices getting close to 1GB down and around 500Mbps up while my wireless devices are getting less than half that speed at best. The limiting factor is not only my current Access Point but also it appears that individual devices also have there own speed limitations. Never the less I am very happy with what I have now and everything works very well indeed. I do feel a bit embarrassed about making my earlier claim which was quite obviously incorrect.
    Generally it's almost impossible for wireless to match wired. The fact at 100mbps you were able is great. But as fibre pushes our internet speeds up to 1gbps, wireless doesn't keep up. That said how often does our wireless device need gigabit through put from a site. You're more than likely to be limited to a PCs wireless card or other device...and need some dedicated APs to deliver that speed.

I have Ubiquti APs here, on the lower end of enterprise grade, and can get about 400-500mbps depending on whre I'm sitting and what device I'm using....but I'm runing 5 APs at my house, and in this room, it's right above me, and has a 1gbps cable back to a 1gbps switch.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    I have Ubiquti APs here, on the lower end of enterprise grade, and can get about 400-500mbps depending on whre I'm sitting and what device I'm using....but I'm runing 5 APs at my house, and in this room, it's right above me, and has a 1gbps cable back to a 1gbps switch.
    All Ubiquiti setup here as well. Works very well.

Bleakly Optomistic

And here I am doing okay on a 1.1mb connection. Sure, downloading stuff can be a pain, but I'm connecting to work, youtubemusic, discord, and can stream netflix okay all at once if need be.

Old dick-head

WiFi is like being on an old party-line telephone system, all your devices have to wait and take their turn before talking back to the AP; and if your neighbour is on the same channel as you are, it is even worse.

No such problems with an ethernet cable.

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    WiFi is like being on an old party-line telephone system,

No such problems with an ethernet cable.
    Er, not quite.
    Through the cable yes...but the cab;e connects to something.
    Sometimes servers in a network, and sometimes the internet which although much the same also has the web in their too...so you join the partryline for server access, which is why sometimes downloads are slow...it's how many on that server....and you also join the partyline of cabling in your street, exchnage and so on.

But yes, wifi has more interference....and is picky about things like walls and such.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I'm a Unifi user as well (GW, Switches, APs, Cameras) and bought a few Unifi 6 Beta APs. Can easily push through a gigabit on them, my MacBook is currently connected at 1.8Gbit on 802.11ax to them. Once they go mass market would be a worthy upgrade for your new awesome internet connection.

Lets be honest. When are you actually going to NEED that sort of wifi speed ?

Your wifi devices wont be capable of that connect/throughput speed (with a few exceptions)
    Move a few rooms down & watch the wifi speed drop .

You internet download / upload will ALLWAYS be speed limited by the slowest hop , and limited by the speed throttling at the other end (cough cough 365 ).

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Lets be honest. When are you actually going to NEED that sort of wifi speed ?

Your wifi devices wont be capable of that connect/throughput speed (with a few exceptions)
    Move a few rooms down & watch the wifi speed drop .

You internet download / upload will ALLWAYS be speed limited by the slowest hop , and limited by the speed throttling at the other end (cough cough 365 ).
    Pretty often actually.

Backups go through time machine over Wi-Fi, the full speed means they move 10x faster since it's all SSD.

It's nice having full speed access to the NAS for copying stuff back and forth and not being limited to 802.11n speeds.

6GB OS updates fly as if you were connected through cable.

I have 4 APs in the house and with the way the Unifi APs work travelling between them is seamless, so roaming around the house isn't a big deal.
    Last edited by baabits; 09-06-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Pretty often actually.

Backups go through time machine over Wi-Fi, the full speed means they move 10x faster since it's all SSD.
    It's nice having full speed access to the NAS for copying stuff back and forth and not being limited to 802.11n speeds.
    6GB OS updates fly as if you were connected through cable.
    I have 4 APs in the house and with the way the Unifi APs work travelling between them is seamless, so roaming around the house isn't a big deal.

Hardly an average setup you've got there :-)

The new laptop Im setting up now has Wifi6 , an unexpected surprise .