Thread: Lawn Edging

Default Lawn Edging

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/morri...-watt/p/125288

Any opinions on these?

Had a weed eater...no thanks.

Currently using hand snippers...like big scissor things...work well but it takes me ages......especially with the kikuyu.
    Ex-pctek

Older by the minute

Default Re: Lawn Edging

How much edging is there? Some weedeaters have a facility to do edging as well as cutting. How about spraying with Roundup or the like?

I don't want a weedeater.

And no poison, I have gardens, and shrubs...and anyway, never mind killing off all the wanted plants, all poison does is leave dead, brown, tatty looking edges. I want trimmed and neat.

I wanted to know if anyone has used this sort of tool, or similar to it..not a weedeater.
    Ex-pctek

Older by the minute

Just gathering info to set the parametres. The tool you are looking at will cut the edges but I think you will find that it is really designed to edge a hard surface such as concrete up to the lawn. If you want to edge between a garden bed and lawn, then that is a whole new deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The tool you are looking at will cut the edges but I think you will find that it is really designed to edge a hard surface such as concrete up to the lawn. If you want to edge between a garden bed and lawn, then that is a whole new deal.
    Well...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Peh81vWF0

Didn't listen to the commentary, but I watched it.
    Seems ok?
    Ex-pctek

I have one of these https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-18v...r-kit_p0135045 and it does a pretty decent job around my driveway and paths. If you do it regularly - say monthly or more - it's pretty quick and easy. If like me you let it get a bit overgrown then obviously it's a bit of an effort. I expect the morrison one is fairly similar to use and there are pros and cons for corded vs cordless obviously.

The only issue I have found is the blades wear down fairly quickly, most likely due to concrete being abrasive and rubbing against the blade. Does make a really nice square edge but also seems to raise the edge a little. Fells a bit like using a circular saw on an extension pole to edge your lawn Better than a weedeater for edging to be sure, of course I also have one of those, the edger is no use to me around the house and shed.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Senior

I don't use herbicides. For the lawn edges along the paths sometimes I use the weedeater turned over but for a nice straight edge I use a heavy duty Stanley knife - carefully. The blades get blunt fairly quickly tho'. An ancient pair of shears for the garden edges. An electric edger would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bellbird View Post
    I don't use herbicides. For the lawn edges along the paths sometimes I use the weedeater turned over but for a nice straight edge I use a heavy duty Stanley knife - carefully. .
    Yes, poison doesn't make a nice edge, it makes an untidy dead edge...and can affect all your wanted plants too.
    Husband used to use a stanley knife....it took him ages...he loved the stanley knives, he had several...

I kept the nice Fiskars pro...not for edges, but I just like it...it's a meaty one, use it for the usual things occasionally..That was the one he didn't like, lol.

Anyway problem is solved, I FINALLY found a lawn guy who was willing to do edges only, he starts next week.
    Most couldn't be bothered for such a small job.

So yay, I don't have to buy expensive tools, can leave my hand snippers alone except for trimming round shrubs and concentrate on the gardens instead...and the mowing, which I like doing. Love my mower....
    Ex-pctek

Senior

I hope he does a nice job of the edges, let us know.

Well, just found who he is actually.

He turned up, zoomed around doing edges with his weedeater, garden edges too, and round shrubs in 10 minutes, got me a card, and cleaned up the shredded bits of grass, jumped in his vehicle and sped off again. Super quick and an utterly awesome job!! Tidiest it's looked in ages.

Adam from Express Lawn (Napier branch).

Very happy....
    Ex-pctek