Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old guy

Default Things to Wonder About

1. Ashburton needs a new bridge so the government announces they will build a cycle/walking bridge over the Auckland harbor for $M500 or so to be built in the next 5 years.

2. The dreaded Virus obviously has been ordered to stay away from politicians and Maoris judging by all the hongis shown on TV at Queenstown and Tauranga over the past week.

3. We donated $M3.5 aid to Ethiopia which will be used to enrich their leaders or pay for more weapons but we can only find half a million to help clean up after the flood in Canterbury.

Default Re: Things to Wonder About

What about all the forestation that's been exported and treelined cover belts around farms been done away with.

Best thing to happen in NZ was the 1930's slump and the resulting forests that were planted, massive result, most are now gone or sold to you know who.

Did the Maori MP get his billion trees planted, I wonder!.

China now up to three kids allowed, wow!. Wonder how we are going to feed them all?, let alone the raw materials needed in the future to cater for this population explosion to come.

Not a word from Greta about curtailing population growth, just a ***** about us oldies fixing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    but we can only find half a million to help clean up after the flood in Canterbury.
    Canterbury farmers aren't her voting base.

Greenie cyclists and beneficiaries are.

Everyone else is fuc

It's almost like the government is capable of funding more than one thing at a time

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    1. Ashburton needs a new bridge so the government announces they will build a cycle/walking bridge over the Auckland harbor for $M500 or so to be built in the next 5 years.
    Yes but to be fair they had been going on about it for ages.....Ashburton or not.

And yes, the floods....but why do people blame govts and councils? They can't stop nature, it's why you have insurance.
    Ex-pctek

So why don't the cyclists and pedestrians pay for their own bridge through user charges, just as motorists must for their roads?

I wonder how imperative all the new cycleways etc. would be if the users were taxed on a per kilometre basis.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post
    So why don't the cyclists and pedestrians pay for their own bridge through user charges, just as motorists must for their roads?

I wonder how imperative all the new cycleways etc. would be if the users were taxed on a per kilometre basis.
    As always you will find that any individual or pressure group that demands that (make your own choice of any desire) have no intention of spending any of their own money to achieve it. In fact they go to great lengths to make it as inconvenient and costly for anyone that apposes their own selfish aims.

Not to mention the ridicule that they heap upon anyone who disagrees with them. I have been roundly abused by cyclists who were hit while flouting the law as it pertains to them. Like failing to give way or stop when the sign requires that. The motorist is always accused of "going too fast" even though they were 10 kmh below the speed limit.

While the cyclists are saving the planet from petroleum, I wonder what they cost the community in health care when they ride in the middle of the road through blind bends on narrow winding country roads and get hit by motorists who had no chance to see them. And of course, it is always the motorist's fault.

Probably be a cheaper solution, rather than building cycleways would be to take away their bicycles.

If you actually read the article cyclists are Not asking for a new bridge at all just a safe space that could be achieved at a fraction of the cost. And I do wish w@%ker drivers would wake up, I have just got back from Christchurch and the standard of driving I have seen over the last 3 days is bewildering compared to what I saw of people cycling.

I am a cyclist I am also a driver and I know that there are f@#kwits on both sides ruining it for the rest, so stop laying blame on one side just because you don't do it. Instead grow some balls and man up.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    If you actually read the article cyclists are Not asking for a new bridge at all just a safe space that could be achieved at a fraction of the cost. And I do wish w@%ker drivers would wake up, I have just got back from Christchurch and the standard of driving I have seen over the last 3 days is bewildering compared to what I saw of people cycling.

I am a cyclist I am also a driver and I know that there are f@#kwits on both sides ruining it for the rest, so stop laying blame on one side just because you don't do it. Instead grow some balls and man up.
    Finally some actual sensibleness
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter