Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Landline no longer working

As I said the exchanges have already started coming out, for a couple years now actually. They replace a splitter card in the broadband equipment that used to allow the phone line to be combined with the ADSL with one that can supply a copper phone line and then the landline is coming from the broadband network instead of the old exchange.
    For an end user you wouldn't know the difference.

Equipment has got smaller but that's nothing new. I spent a lot of my trainee days helping to replace the step by step and crossbar hardware with Neax exchanges. Basically a whole large room of electro-mechanical hardware was replaced by a couple of rows of Neax back in the 80s. Now phone service is a tiny amount of traffic compared to the internet that it can just be tacked onto the broadband equipment.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I spent a lot of my trainee days helping to replace the step by step and crossbar hardware with Neax exchanges. Basically a whole large room of electro-mechanical hardware was replaced by a couple of rows of Neax back in the 80s. Now phone service is a tiny amount of traffic compared to the internet that it can just be tacked onto the broadband equipment.
    Yep, husband hated them.
    No actual fixing he said...it's all software.

I went with him when his colleague was on holiday, to drive the laptop for him, he never got the hang of that...didn't want to, really.
    Ex-pctek

He'd have hated them even more now, they are so old NEC stopped replacing parts a long time ago and they have to be locally repaired which is fairly expensive. A lot of capacitors have worn out and things like power cards will often not restart after a power outage which is luckily rare due to the battery backups etc.
    Even more fun the people who know how to fix them are getting rarer by the day. They really squeezed about as much life as possible out of them
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

He'd have hated them even more now, they are so old NEC stopped replacing parts a long time ago and they have to be locally repaired which is fairly expensive. A lot of capacitors have worn out and things like power cards will often not restart after a power outage which is luckily rare due to the battery backups etc.
    Even more fun the people who know how to fix them are getting rarer by the day. They really squeezed about as much life as possible out of them
    My husband was made redundant from Telecom in 1993 after 40 + years as a Post Office/ Telecom tech. Up to 2 years after that he was called on to help to train some of the younger techs in Crossbar and NEAX exchanges. Well he actually just told Telecom where to stuff them !

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    My husband was made redundant from Telecom in 1993 after 40 + years as a Post Office/ Telecom tech. Up to 2 years after that he was called on to help to train some of the younger techs in Crossbar and NEAX exchanges. Well he actually just told Telecom where to stuff them !

LL
    Oooh, painful!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

He'd have hated them even more now, they are so old ...
    Thought they got replaced already....but yes, he was rather a luddite.
    Ex-pctek