Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Older by the minute

Default Cat's urination!

I have a 15 year old cat who in the last fortnight has taken to urinating on the carpet. Up until now she has been the perfect cat. She is at present with the Vet for tests. I have cleaned up her messes and applied Odarid (great NZ product) but this can't go on. Does anyone have a method to make her go outside again? A door is always open for her to do so!

I'm afraid that SWMBO is at the end of her tether and the result for the cat is looking terminal. Any advice greatly received.

Default Re: Cat's urination!

Surely this is not any willful act on the part of your cat. She is around 80 years old in human terms, and incontinence may be a part of her aging. And at that age, so is incontinence a part of many 80 yo human lives. Frustrating, and I for one wouldn't have the patience to clean up after her. Sympathies, it's a difficult call.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Is it allways around the same area , or at random locations ?

assuming the cat isnt sick & the issue isnt age related
    Perhaps a indoor cat litter tray , put where its peeing. Or cat repelant if its peeing in the same place

Is it too scared to go outside for some reason ? that also may be a cause

I used to have a cat that started peeing inside when another cat was brought into the house .
    So see if its realated to marking its territory (other cats wandering on your section)

At 15years , it is getting old for some cats .
    You may need to limit its access inside the house .

Older by the minute

Thanks 1101. Yes it is the same area. She has a tray in the shower area of the ensuite for easy cleaning. She has never used the tray, just goes alongside. Recently the urination it has been under or alongside the dining table. I have investigated repellents but can't find one suitable for carpets. With winter coming on, and even if I live in Auckland, doesn't seem right for a "house" cat to be outside.

There hasn't been any strays around for awhile. At a bit of a loss here but we will see what the Vet has to say this arvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    and the result for the cat is looking terminal
    I would hope that's just frustrated flippancy. People expect to be looked after and tolerated as they age, and pee everywhere - pets should be no different.

And doesn't it stink! We had a litter tray inside for a week when we first had our (now old) cats - to get them used to their new surroundings. Even though they covered it up it still stank, which is why we kept the litter tray in the laundry. We were glad when they were finally let outside.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

1)Cat is scared....other cats coming round in area? When they get old they can't fight or scare the others off so well.
    2)Medical issue....she is old and sometimes they can't help it.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    2)Medical issue....she is old and sometimes they can't help it.
    It happens to cats as well?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Yes, it happens to all.

One of our cats similar age started doing that too, so downloaded Netcam X studio server which is free and turns your laptop into a motion sensing CCTV.

Left the laptop on overnight and there be damned was the neighbours cat mooching around in our house and neither of our cats seemed to want to chase it off. Changed the cat door to a micro chip reading one and problem went away. Sadly that cat of ours then had a stroke a month latter and had to be put down anyway.