Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Internet Security

Just adding to my previous remark
    If you want Free - you get what you pay for.
    1101 mentioned Bitdefender free, again that's ONLY a basic Antivirus. Looking on their site, it shows the differences between the free and the paid versions.

On the left - Free, right - Paid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bitdefender Free.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	10900

Similar thing with comodo, the Free one doesn't have a firewall and missing several features of the paid version, so it does go back to my quote
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-05-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Ive never been a fan of "internet security" products .
    They seem to be bloated with stuff you dont need. And in the past were less reliable than 'basic' AV (eg go bad & stop all internet access)
    Its like they were designed by the marketing dept :-)

Bitdefender free does have a level of internet security , it will block some intrusion attempts (eg RDC attacks) . But yes, its a VERY basic AV .
    Nod32 AV also goes beyond basic AV, with some network & internet protection (will block acces to some dodgy websites , some intrusion detection )

Since he paid for malwarebytes , I would just stick with that .
    Last edited by 1101; 19-05-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Nod32 AV also goes beyond basic AV, with some network & internet protection (will block acces to some dodgy websites , some intrusion detection )
    Yep, I actually use the End Point Security, and the way Its set sometimes I have to tell it that what I'm wanting is OK, even though it insists it dangerous.

Always found a good test is the files from https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950 ( right hand side of page) The Antivirus should detect and stop them cold in the tracks and not allow to downloads

Example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eset Stopped.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	10901

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech
    If you want to use a good program then try Eset Internet Security, (not just the AV) it has a inbuilt firewall, when in interactive mode, will stop ANYTHING coming in or Out, you have to allow / Deny.

You would be surprised just what programs you have "Phone Home" And how often. It can actually be pain having to allow / deny untill it learns. The default mode allows / certain applications/Actions on whitelists.
    It's quite interesting what phones home too. I keep blocking yourphone.exe but it seems to morph and want to phone home regularly, even after denying time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beav View Post
    It's quite interesting what phones home too. I keep blocking yourphone.exe but it seems to morph and want to phone home regularly, even after denying time and time again.
    yes, yourphone is a newish app that allows your android phone and PC to talk.

You can disable it if you dont use it. https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/...d-you-stop-it/

In that link - theres a picture ( scroll down the page) under "Disabling the Your Phone App in Windows 10", #2 Background Apps -- I personally disable the LOT, most are not needed and they can all "phone home" this also can speed up your computer as all those apps are no longer running in the background "IF" any app needs to be turned on you'll get a pop up saying it has to be, so you just turn on the app required.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-05-2021 at 11:00 AM.

With all the Ransomware attacks lately
    Is Windows 10 really enough?

I am using MalwareBytes Premium (Paid) but I have no idea if it is working or not!

I wonder what system the Waikato Hospital and Colonial Pipelines were using?
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    With all the Ransomware attacks lately
    Is Windows 10 really enough?

I am using MalwareBytes Premium (Paid) but I have no idea if it is working or not!

I wonder what system the Waikato Hospital and Colonial Pipelines were using?
    Have a read of this FULLY https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/125...-budget-issues Then (or 1st) read my reply in the other thread about malwarebytes -- Put 1 and 1 together

Edited: Thats the article I mentioned about turning off the logs due to hits in other thread -- its a long article but READ IT ALL.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-06-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    LOL, ---- sorry but theres lots of programs that collect data and track everything you do, Microsoft is the least of your concerns. Basically every program collects some data. ( See below)

Thats just one of the reasons I mentioned DONT use Avast -- They have been caught and admitted that they collect and sell users data.

If you want to use a good program then try Eset Internet Security, (not just the AV) it has a inbuilt firewall, when in interactive mode, will stop ANYTHING coming in or Out, you have to allow / Deny.

You would be surprised just what programs you have "Phone Home" And how often. It can actually be pain having to allow / deny untill it learns. The default mode allows / certain applications/Actions on whitelists.

Sure Esets not free (except its trial) BUT, If you want Free - you get what you pay for.
    +2 for ESET. Have been using NOD32 since Windows 95, has always been a lean user friendly antivirus.