Default Need some serious help! Apple iMac 2019 - Microphone issues

So this happened a few weeks ago, I was doing a Zoom meeting with family and the microphone would not work, no one could hear me and I was unable to get it to work. Later, I checked system preferences however the input level is unresponsive, unless I tap on the case, you can see the bars move. Siri hears me ..very faintly, and what I ask isn't answered. I have tried FaceTime however the mic on FaceTime is muted however the person can only hear me very faintly.
    PRAM and SMC was done, no change. I then called Apple... however couldn't help me, so the iMac went away to an Apple repair shop where the logic board was replaced. It came back today and after a fresh reinstall ... its doing the same thing, am just completely lost for words ...

HELP! What is going on??

Default Re: Need some serious help! Apple iMac 2019 - Microphone issues

the iMac went away to an Apple repair shop where the logic board was replaced
    One would assume they tested it and it worked, if they didn't I'd be questioning their work.

Found a couple of Sites: Have a read of the following something may help -- https://setapp.com/how-to/microphone-not-working-mac as well as https://www.onlinemictest.com/microp...ings/mac-os-x/

If it was working at the repairer and has an inbuilt Microphone the 1st thing that comes to mind is you have something else that has a Microphone, possible bluetooth ( like a headset) and that's taking over.

I was hoping you'd reply wainuitech, you've helped me with Apple products in the past. I have called Apple NZ this morning and am about to ring the store where it was repaired. It looks like it has to go back but am advocating the get the machine replaced now. Ive looked at your page you suggested and did all those things. I created a voice memo this morning but I had to shout to get my voice picked up by the mic.

So its picking up just not enough, "Almost" sounds like it needs mic boost ( I know Windows has that but don't know if MAC's do) -- I had similar years ago on a Win98 Computer. Cant for the life of me remember what I did to sort it.

Just a suggestion -- Do you have a Webcam, Headsets, or separate microphone you can plug in, change to that and see if that works ? Often when you have a web cam it Usually tries to take over the Mic esp if the computer has an inbuilt (most Cams have inbuilt) and if its not set as the default input there can be troubles.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-05-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Yeah we tried FaceTime which has the same result, very faint. Apple suggested the external mic to try however that defeats the purpose as we want the internal mic to work. I have tried to boost the mic by putting the tab all the way up, but nothing. I called the Apple Repair Store, they assure me it was working before it left the store. They agreed we should try to get a replacement machine now, the pain in the neck is that I have to pack the machine back up again and send it away.

If you can get hold of a web Cam try that, they have inbuilt Mics , its only really to test if its hardware or software.

Is Dictation turned ON ?

Open System Preferences on your Mac.
    Click Keyboard.
    Click the Dictation tab.
    Click On and click Enable Dictation to confirm.

I know some programs like this for Windows, BUT came across this -- https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/ Install it, see if you can boost to max and see what happens.

it does say
    Before purchase, the quality of audio adjusted by SoundSource will be degraded after 20 minutes per launch.
    But that will be more than enough time to see if it can be increased.

Seen way to many fixable Computers dumped due to minor problems.

I now remember how I fixed a low mic in Win98, installed Total Recorder -- Worked perfectly after that. The Software over rode the inbuilt Drivers etc.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-05-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Get a USB heatset with mic. (not a cheapy though)
    Allways the best option, the audio(speech) as heard at the other end will be a lot clearer