Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Full computer upgrade . Pro needed .

Hello all , this is my first post on here , hi to all .

I joined cause I'm a little older than most and want advice to upgrade from an XP also I have a laptop 5 years old .
    Wanting some bling but donít need it all . Thought id make a must need list and a donít need list .
    I'm looking for right person or a company that can do what I need , the XP came from PBT in Penrose and was an
    ex lease rebuilt . Still going strong although cant get internet anymore due to lack of knowing why or how . Anyway .

Do need these .
    I use Ms Office excel a lot , I have complex macros I use . I do statistical data work as a hobby . My XP is using office 2007 and works fine .
    Laptop has 2016 and struggles to run macros used on XP . What the . Baffled there .
    So the laptop says I need to run 64 bit . HUH . There one problem . 32 and 32 is 64 thatís all I know .

I use Access a bit and will use Outlook when I switch from old PC .
    Do want to have my videos to run without stop start motion . So my old 2gb of ram looks OLD . Laptop has 12 so were heading in the right direction .

Also I told that MS office excel can only ever use 2 gb of ram anyway . So to find someone who can send more
    processor speed that way gets my money .

Talking of processor is Intel still the bees knees or is Ryzen the way to go . Looking at least I7 aren't we here for me .

Wi-Fi , and all the basic stuff , and I would like to send to and receive from a TV would be good .

Don'ts . Donít do gaming but that looks a lot of fun . So all the bling for graphics is ???? .
    If it helps to run U tube videos well thatís ok .

Donít think I'm asking much , Off the shelf wont do it , prefer to make it up using one of you pros .
    Came here for help and looking for right person who will communicate and build what I need , with no
    ongoing hassles , break downs , etc. .

I prefer to as the saying goes to "overkill" the situation than struggle for more power .
    Hence why the V8 and 1000cc are parked in the garage .

I apologise for a first long spiel but I'm here to make this happen , so anyone interested who has experience please
    contact me . Im a cash buyer , I want honesty not BS , so donít sell me something I donít need or convince me I do .

Thanks for you time .

Default Re: Full computer upgrade . Pro needed .

Welcome

Two Questions which can be important.
    1. Where are you located ?
    2. Have you got a Budget in mind ?

Hi , thanks for reply .
    I'm located in Waikato , very north , but am in no way associated with Auckland .
    I do work in Auckland .
    Yes I do have a budget , I'm an engineer by trade but if it doesn't have oil wrapped around it I can get lost , but I do know what I need .
    I'm well adept to money transfers and have used overseas people for macro work .
    Thanks for your question .

Quote Originally Posted by New computer needed View Post
    I use Ms Office excel a lot , I have complex macros I use .
    So the laptop says I need to run 64 bit .

I use Access a bit and will use Outlook when I switch from old PC .
    Do want to have my videos to run without stop start motion .

Talking of processor is Intel still the bees knees or is Ryzen the way to go .
    Wi-Fi , and all the basic stuff , and I would like to send to and receive from a TV would be good .

Don'ts . Donít do gaming but that looks a lot of fun . So all the bling for graphics is ???? .
    If it helps to run U tube videos well thatís ok .

I prefer to as the saying goes to "overkill" the situation than struggle for more power .
    Hence why the V8 and 1000cc are parked in the garage .
    So really you just need a modern PC or laptop....with MS Office, the version with Access.
    Gaming is a whole other animal....

Think standard car vs Ferrari. Unless by games you mean Solitaire or such.
    Gaming is an expensive hobby on a PC. Buy a Playstation or Xbox. It's cheaper.

As for the laptop...Toshiba, Dell or ASUS.
    The more ram the better.
    Yes, Intel for the CPU.

I recommend Computer Lounge, better after sales service than PBTech.
    Ex-pctek

I vote team red, or more specifically AMD Ryzen 5 or 7. Intel may be back on top with their next release but at the moment they use more power, run hotter and struggle to match AMDs performance. On the other hand it's hard to get the latest ryzen chips.
    I'd go Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 7 3700X personally. The 5600X is the faster chip but harder to get and pricy, the 3700X is previous gen, a little cheaper, a little slower, but makes up for it with 2 extra cores and is pretty damn close outside of gaming.

But it's not actually important, either CPU family has plenty of power for whatever and you don't mention anything demanding. You don't need an i7 or Ryzen 7, the i5 / ryzen 5 chips are solid performers. But if you want to spend the money that's your call.

When asked if you had a budget I think we would like to know what it is .... can't advise you on what to get very well otherwise.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hi guys , thanks for these answers so far .
    My bad with the budget question , looking at this mo at $3.5 to $4K .
    Have looked at computer lounge and nice and easy for me to understand .

Without making any hasty decisions there $3.5 starter pack looks ok . So I'm seeing my budget go up .
    Definitely going 64 bit now after studying this and just learnt a new word , Optimization , i believe this is what or who i need to get my excel running at max speed when needed .
    Really loving this advice and keep it coming , thanks to all .

Older by the minute

Bear in mind that if your Monitor, Key board and mouse, printer are satisfactory, you will only need the computer. Don't need to replace the peripheral's.

I would start with this and upgrade / add whatever parts you want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	10889

For serious gaming the 3060Ti would be a great choice, and you may want to add a storage drive if 1TB isn't enough for you.
    I'd only upgrade the CPU if you know you will push it hard, the 5600X is a great performer for games and multitasking.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I would start with this and upgrade / add whatever parts you want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	10889

For serious gaming the 3060Ti would be a great choice, and you may want to add a storage drive if 1TB isn't enough for you.
    I'd only upgrade the CPU if you know you will push it hard, the 5600X is a great performer for games and multitasking.
    I'd replace the B450 with a B550 instead, VRM Tech and the memory controller on the 550 is vastly superior.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Bleakly Optomistic

or something like this, and swap the video card if needed, but as you described, probably no need.

https://pctraders.co.nz/collections/...windows-10-pro