Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are you in to genealogy?

Roscoe, one site I haven't used for quite some time, is, genesreunited.co.uk, cheap to, NZ$17.96pa.

Back then I had a large no. of contacts in the UK and we have all gone as far as we can go.

The FreeBMD given above is also pretty good and I have purchased a number of certificates from them, some good and some bad, but there is a website for unwanted BMD certificates.

My late Aunt was into it and I paid quite a few $s' for an O/S genealogy firm. England of course and that helped get me started.

You will find Ancestry.co.uk pretty dear at 350.00 NZ dollars, but you do get their other sites Aus & USA info as well.

lurking.

ps. Aunt go me into it back in the 1970's and I'm still learning, she passed in 2005 in her 100th year.

Aunt also put me on the wrong track for a G-Uncle and he is still illusive to say the least.

lurks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Roscoe,
    Aunt also put me on the wrong track for a G-Uncle and he is still illusive to say the least.

lurks.
    Boy can I relate to that.

Iíve been trying to trace my GF & GGF (Fathers Side) for years.

My GF was born in Victoria (Aus we presume) and his father was a Scott so he must have travelled
    to Aus, but there is no Aus records of either of them.

Anyway, out of sheer frustration back in 198? I hit the office of BDM in Melbourne, fully equipped with all my NZ certificates and other paperwork.

Well, the the guy I was dealing with was a good bugger and tried everything he knew to crack the problem. In the end I suggested that GGGF had arrived in Shackles and that would explain everything.

With that he rose from his chair and advised, in no uncertain terms, that he did not, because they still have complete records of those that did and he had checked and nothing matched.

So off I go, poorer in all respects and disappointed that my GGGF hadnít been selected by the finest English Judges.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

B.M. do you pay any subs. to Genealogy sites?.

DNA is very cheap now compared to both of ours, almost as dear as property, rofl.

Have had a quite a few hits on DNAs', but those folk don't have a paid sub. on Ancestry and contacting them is not worth the trouble, as most are from 2nd marriages.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    B.M. do you pay any subs. to Genealogy sites?.

DNA is very cheap now compared to both of ours, almost as dear as property, rofl.

Have had a quite a few hits on DNAs', but those folk don't have a paid sub. on Ancestry and contacting them is not worth the trouble, as most are from 2nd marriages.

lurking.
    No Lurking, no longer a member of any genealogy sights, but was once a member of My Heritage.

I donít think I ever found anything that I didnít already know, but did get conflicts as to exact dates of births and deaths.

One mate is right into it and has spent $1000ís on DNA testing which ended in two trips to Denmark to meet the relations he has found.

However, another mate thought he would take a short-cut and went for the most expensive DNA tests to start things, only to find he was a ďSuper StudĒ and the missing link on a good number of other family trees.

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Older by the minute

You could write a story there B.M. Just maybe he was "impressed", went before the mast to Australia. Jumped ship, changed his name and disappeared to the goldfields. Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Be prepared to find out things that you really don't want to know
    ..that we are all related to Hitler

and all related to each other if you take the 'tree' far enough back . (not that far actually)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    You could write a story there B.M. Just maybe he was "impressed", went before the mast to Australia. Jumped ship, changed his name and disappeared to the goldfields. Just saying!
    And you may well have nailed it in one Bryan.

Roscoe, another cheap NZ one https://www.famnet.org.nz/

Took out a 10 year sub, it was so cheap.

It pops up with newsletters which are helpful.

lurking.

ps. just received their latest email.

lurks.