Default e-bikes and e-scooters

Hi all,

At various times I've considered getting either an ebike or an escooter (or occasionally both, depending on how long it's been since my car last broke!). I'd be interested in hearing from anyone here who has either of them - likes and dislikes, what model you have and how you've found it, why you went for the bike instead of the scooter or vice versa.

Default Re: e-bikes and e-scooters

We had an ebike.
    In Auckland it scared both of us, and husband used to cycle race too and bike to town from Tat Nth, the long way - before bike lanes and even most of the motorway was a thing. Of course we were old by the time of the ebike and Akld traffic...well.

But even a standard bike would scare you in Akld traffic.

Takes getting used to, we pedal to start it off and then it would take off like a rocket. It could go fast, downhill especially. Scary fast.
    And it's heavy. You need to remember that.

Can't remember model.

Scooter? Like the Lime ones? hell no, too dangerous IMO.

Here, an ebike would be great. Pretty flat mostly and loads of them around, lots of bike lanes now and a new ebike shop just opened too. I see a lot of biking here.

If you are not in Akld, go for it.
    Last edited by piroska; 26-04-2021 at 01:55 PM.
    Ex-pctek

Should add - I've spent a fair amount of time riding both - they're both fun. Ebike was definitely a lot more stable at high speeds than my road bike!

Old guy

The big problem with an ebike in the likes of Auckland is theft. Fine if you are able to secure it whenever you get to your destination but unsafe to leave it parked if you are going into do some the shopping.

My next move is one of these as I kept falling off my bike.

https://mobilitywarehouse.co.nz/prod...lity-scooters/

Have you considered that?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

I bought an ebike and rode it to work for a year, then it got stolen and I replaced it with a cheaper one but shouldn't have bothered because I got laid of and the new job is just too far away and the traffic too busy.

My thoughts.
    If you haven't ridden for a few years you will almost certainly fall off at some point (happened to 2 out of 3 of us who started riding at the same time when we lost our work vehicles)
    Ebikes take about 50% of the effort out of riding unless you get one with a separate throttle (and then why not just buy a motor scooter), feels even easier than it sounds though
    centre drive systems are superior to hub motors, both because it's easier to fix a flat and because the motor also benefits from the gears making hills a lot easier. But hub motors still work well.
    E-scooters are allowed on the footpaths legally, at least for now, so there's more places you can go while safely avoiding the traffic.

Personally I tried a lime scooter once and although it was fun I wouldn't use one to commute on, a bike is just better IMHO. Rolling down a steep hill at 30-40 kph is scary on a bike at times but it'd be terrifying on a scooter to me. Also I'm heavy and the lime scooter struggled on even mild inclines.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    My next move is one of these as I kept falling off my bike.

https://mobilitywarehouse.co.nz/prod...lity-scooters/
    Seen the new ones round Napier kenj?
    They're like little mini cars, skinny things....
    https://channelmag.co.nz/channel/fea...r-all-weather/
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Seen the new ones round Napier kenj?
    They're like little mini cars, skinny things....
    https://channelmag.co.nz/channel/fea...r-all-weather/
    Nah, I want one like this

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=2084756401548884&_rdr

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

We have an e-bike here, a Smart Motion E-city, had it for about three years. It's turned out to be very useful, and fun to ride. Mostly used for local food shopping outings, or any other similar distance journeys. This model has a throttle, and that is the most common type about, I think. The throttle is great for getting going from standstill at an intersection or traffic lights, especially if is a bit uphill. Basically you are taking off at the same speed as the cars.
    I use bikeways as first preference, but also footpaths, and mixing it with the traffic when it looks ok to do that.
    I haven't fallen off, and that is definitely to be avoided. E-bikes are about twice the weight of a normal pushbike. For riding confidence, the bike is set up so that when you come to a stop you can put both feet on the ground without having having to get off the saddle. Like a motorbike.
    There are five settings of pedal assist, so that aspect can be set so that you still get some exercise!

The Motion City was the one I had for 2 years. Beautiful machine but it had a definite gravitational attraction to the ground and had a habit of lying down, mainly while I was trying to keep it upright. S. O. B. of a thing. Battery sitting high didn't help.

Ken