Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default iPhone X battery replacement

I purchased an iPhone X in late 2017 and I'm still happy with the phone today, apart from the battery life. Until about a month ago the battery would last all day, even with heavy usage, but now I'm having to charge it during the day to keep using it. I no longer have a landline so it's my only phone. I normally have GPS enabled for my Fitbit, but even turning that off, my battery is not lasting - and it says it's only using 4% of battery usage anyway.

I looked in the battery section on the phone and it says the battery health is 'significantly degraded' and the maximum capacity is 87%. I've checked and it looks like I can get the battery replaced at an authorised Apple repairer for $119, which is a lot cheaper than replacing the phone.

I'm in Levin and it looks like the closest repairers are in Palmerston North (Desktop Technology Services - but it says they have no available reservations) or Wellington, where it lists three - Service Plus Wellington, Oobe Wellington, and Connect NZ. I'd prefer to take my phone in and get it done the same day, and wanted to know if anyone has had an iPhone battery replaced, and if so, who would they recommend, and did it make a noticeable difference with a new battery?

Also, apart from backing up the phone before taking it in to get the battery replaced, and turning off the find my phone function, is there anything else I need to do to ensure I don't lose any contacts, data, etc?

VoidMaster

Default Re: iPhone X battery replacement

Turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth for extra battery life.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I'll be doing that once I get a battery replacement, but don't think it will help once the battery is already degraded.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

You're better off just replacing the battery. Whilst disabling features may reduce the drain on the battery, ultimately it's not at its 100% rated capacity regardless of how many times you charge it.

Once you get your new battery:

Don't leave the phone plugged in and charging overnight.
    Don't let it charge all the way to 100%
    Fully discharge the battery every few days i.e. let it run down completely or as close to as possible (5% etc.). So get out of the habit of charging it every time it's not 100%.

Even with the above tips, the battery will still degrade over time but they will help to slow the degradation over time.

Hope that helps.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5GHz
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

That's what I thought, that the best option other than replacing the phone was getting a new battery. I had things running in the background all the time before and it still lasted me all day. I had wondered about charging it fully - I remember years ago the charger I had for one phone had a discharge button that you pressed before charging and the two batteries I had for that lasted for years. I think I'd just got into a habit of putting it on to charge (with the phone turned off) overnight so I didn't have to worry, but if you're suggesting I just charge the new battery to almost full, not completely full, and let it drop right down every now and then, I'll give that a try.

I've emailed the place in Palmerston North as that would be easier for me, but I haven't had a response as yet. I'm currently backing up the phone - using different software from iTunes as it said the backup had failed. It's taking a loooong time, only up to about 2.22% so far (and I had emptied my deleted photos folder as I cleaned out thousands of photos recently!), but hopefully that will work and I can get the new battery soon and get back to normal. Last time we had a decent storm we lost our power for seven days (trees brought down the lines and then the transformer blew up...) so having a reliable phone that won't be out of power when I need it is pretty essential!

I just got a response from Desktop Technology Services in Palmerston North - $129 including GST and they need the phone for about 4-5 hours. Hopefully I can drop it off Friday when I am up there for an appointment and get it sorted. A bit easier on the pocket than a new phone!

Old guy

It might be worth getting a power bank or 2 to have a good way of recharging your phone if you do loose mains power for a while.

I've struck a big problem. My fault entirely for not doing regular backups, but I've tried twice now to do an iTunes backup to my computer and got an error message to say iTunes could not back up phone because an error occurred. I also downloaded software called Tenorshare iCareFone but that also gave me an error message.

Any clues on what I can do to back up the phone before I get the battery replaced?

What's The error , should give some sort of description instead of just saying theres an error ???

VoidMaster

On the rare occasions when I use iTunes (I spit on it) to move part of my music collection to my iPhone 6 I just drag and drop from one to the other, it's such a clumsy, clunky offering from Apple. I think you have to click something to finally allow the action to take place. If you do this you'll know when the backup goes wrong.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 21-04-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche