Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: iPhone X battery replacement

Unfortunately I just got a box with 'iTunes could not back up phone because an error occurred' - so I have no idea what the error was. I had a hunt online and found a few sites where other people were experiencing issues too, so I unclicked the automatic sync and use wifi buttons, restarted both the computer and the phone, and the backup started. This time it got to step 4 of 4 and then nothing further happened. One post I found said to click the small X at the top of iTunes and when I did that, instead of the last backup that was showing, it showed that the last backup was today. I'm assuming that it has worked - I unplugged the phone and quit iTunes and when I plugged the phone in again, it began to sync and it only took a short time instead of hours, and it showed an even later backup time. Fingers crossed it has worked - but I have taken screenshots of my contacts in case the worst comes to the worst! I've already got my photos loaded separately (not through iPhoto), and I can restore music on the phone if anything gets deleted when the battery is replaced.
    My problem is my phone doesn't show up in devices in finder - I've tried plugging it in to a port at the back of my computer rather than a hub, but still nothing. I unclicked a box saying show certain media then closed it and clicked the box again when I opened it, but nothing. I have done that with iTunes in the past though - dragged music from my iTunes library to the phone - as it does show up as a device there, just not on my computer.

Just regarding backups, cant you backup to The Cloud or is that Broken as well ?? I don't (and wont) have iphones, but I thought there is a cloud backup automatically from the phone. You may have to leave the phone plugged in providing power since the battery is not holding a charge.

Note: says here it does it https://support.apple.com/en-nz/guide.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    ...My problem is my phone doesn't show up in devices in finder - I've tried plugging it in to a port at the back of my computer rather than a hub, but still nothing. I unclicked a box saying show certain media then closed it and clicked the box again when I opened it, but nothing. I have done that with iTunes in the past though - dragged music from my iTunes library to the phone - as it does show up as a device there, just not on my computer.
    Follow these steps to reinstall the Apple Mobile Device USB driver:
    1. Disconnect your device from the computer.
    2. Reconnect your device. If iTunes opens, close it.
    3. Press the Windows and R key on your keyboard to open the Run command.
    4. In the Run window, enter:%Program Files%\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
    5. Click OK.
    6. Right-click on the usbaapl64.inf or usbaapl.inf file and select Install.
    7. This should re-initialize the USB-to-Apple connection - you may need to restart your computer if the phone doesn't show up immediately after the driver install.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5GHz
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    I've struck a big problem. My fault entirely for not doing regular backups, but I've tried twice now to do an iTunes backup to my computer and got an error message to say iTunes could not back up phone because an error occurred. I also downloaded software called Tenorshare iCareFone but that also gave me an error message.

Any clues on what I can do to back up the phone before I get the battery replaced?
    I have had the same issue with iTunes backup errors but fixed when using genuine Apple Lightening Cable always not cheap cables.....hasn't recurred since.....iTunes very fussy about the cable connection I have found....