Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup??

Default Re: Backup??

The main thing with Backups, it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as they work.

Seen it happen many times where people think they are working and doing well, but when it comes to the crunch the backups have failed. They need to be tested every so often other wise they are a total waste of time and space.

So far with all the options given, I have seen (and had when trying) them all fail at one point or another.

This is One of the reasons I have stuck with Macrium, Easy to use and use it before working on anyones PC.

Only had it fail once and that was more to do with the media (HDD) I was imaging to, that went Rasppppp. Another thing I like about Macrium is you can run your image as a Virtual Machine, easy way to test it, if it boots OK as a VM it will certainly boot when returned to a Hard Drive. Macrium also has a Option to repair a non booting machine. One other thing -- some of the above mentioned software cant handle Name Brand partitions (Default factory HP) they often fail due to their partition layout.

BUT use what ever you like the best - Just make sure it works. !!
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-04-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Macrium Reflect Free -- You can image the Whole System to external or Network Locations. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    Are you no longer recommend Active@ Disk Image?
    "B.M. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else": The working class! Let's make sure we vote next time!

I stopped doing images when I found how easy win10 is to reinstall. Now I just do data backups with Syncback free

It's not the win 10 install. It's a working machine with a number of applications and you want to avoid too long down time. Only once I did restore via backup and as much as I remember it worked well.
    Last edited by notechyet; 19-04-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    No gave that up a while back when it started having problems with W10 mainly on HP computers with their odd ball partition formating. Still do use it on some older OS's but not many. Most will mount images as drives but wont mount as a Virtual Machine, Macrium Does by viboot, which uses Microsoft Hyper-V, installed on pro, Hyper-V can be installed into Home editions as well.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-04-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    No gave that up a while back when it started having problems with W10 mainly on HP computers with their odd ball partition formating. Still do use it on some older OS's but not many. Most will mount images as drives but wont mount as a Virtual Machine, Macrium Does by viboot, which uses Microsoft Hyper-V, installed on pro, Hyper-V can be installed into Home editions as well.
    Thanks for that WT, very much appreciated. Good to know.
    "B.M. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else": The working class! Let's make sure we vote next time!

A fairly fortuitous thread. I've just reinstalled Win 10 on to a 1 Tb SSD. Normally I use Acronis 2020 and make an image backup. However with the SSD drive 0 shows in windows explorer a size of 220GB but when I do the image backup the file size is about 310 GB . On the old hard disk with it's Win XP, 7 and 10 partitions made into an image backup it was about 150GB. which I would have expected not 310 GB that I'm getting now. Just trying an image backup with Macrium Reflect Free and see what size it is.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Just finished the backup with Macrium Reflect Free and the image size is 170GB which is what I would expect it to be with compression of files.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    That once was very good, but the version (paid for) I have is useless now .
    WD & Seagate's free copy/cloing/imaging tools also dont seem to work that well any more , unfortunately.

Macrium seems to be the goto for disk copy/cloning now .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    That once was very good, but the version (paid for) I have is useless now .
    WD & Seagate's free copy/cloing/imaging tools also dont seem to work that well any more , unfortunately.

Macrium seems to be the goto for disk copy/cloning now .
    The newest version is due out soon (version 8) From what I read its got a VM program built in so it doesn't need Hyper-V. (but you can still use Hyper-V)

Just found a review of the beta version -- Hope they dont do what so many others have done -- Stuff it up with to many Bells and whistles.

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/12/a-...ium-reflect-8/

Version 7 works well, just today cloned two M.2 SSD drives, (128GB to 512GB) The new 512 drive was in an external case, cloned from the working system, once drive changed over took a few seconds longer to boot the 1st time but after that good as gold.