Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Older by the minute

Default Basic file text too light.

I have a problem in reading my basic file text because it is too light. Text of the likes of Stuff, Herald, Trademe and personal files such as my Music folder all have very light text for the main part of the file.

I need to sit forward in my chair to read the text comfortably. I have increased the text size from 100% to 125% but the texture is still the same degree of lightness.

My Music folder, and it is the same for all the other desktop folders, the columns for name is darker but Date, Type, Size and Length are all very light.

How can I increase the darkness of the files so I can sit back in my chair instead of huddling over the desk to read?

Default Re: Basic file text too light.

Use Cleartype.
    go to the Windows 10 search box in the bottom-left corner of the screen and type “ClearType.” In the results list, select “Adjust ClearType text” to open the control panel. When the ClearType Text Tuner control panel opens, make sure the box next to “Turn on ClearType” is checked and then click the Next button.

And

Choose a High Contrast theme. This option allows you to set a high-contrast color scheme that heightens the color contrast of some text and images on your computer screen, making those items more distinct and easier to identify.

Turn on or off High Contrast when Left Alt + Left Shift + Print Screen is pressed. This option allows you to toggle a high-contrast theme on or off by pressing the Left Alt+Left Shift+Print Screen keys.

Fine tune display effects. This option allows you to customize how certain items appear on your desktop.
    Ex-pctek

Older by the minute

Thank you piroska. I am able to toggle into High Contrast but find that it creates a black back-ground that I do not want. I know I can play around and change the back-ground thing but all I really want to do is make the font easier to read i.e. darken it. There must be a way to do that.

No need to use a dark theme, As Piroska mentioned try the Clear Type. If that doesn't work or good enough you can also try this -- In The Search, type dccw it will display a monitor icon, open it and and run though the setting up / suggestions.

May be a better Option: You can also have a play with Winaero Tweaker That has font options https://winaero.com/change-system-font-windows-10/

Play to your hearts content

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fonts.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	10867
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-04-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Older by the minute

Thank you both. Both of your suggestions are worthy but my problem remains. Taking Stuff as an example, headlines are great but my problem remains in the guts of the item. It is the main story line that is very light grey and at time difficult to read for a period of time. Winaero Tweaker is a great tool but doesn't seem to address the lowest text in a news story.

In the web browser font settings, you can hopefully select a font that looks larger/darker or whatever. My favourite font is noto, sans and serif, which I had to install, but Georgia and Verdana are also good.
    Having selected the desired font, untick the option in the browser font options "allow pages to use their own fonts..."
    That's in Firefox browser.
    Last edited by rumpty; 17-04-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: more information

Quote Originally Posted by rumpty View Post
    Having selected the desired font, untick the option in the browser font options "allow pages to use their own fonts..."
    That's in Firefox browser.
    Chrome doesn't seem to have the untick option but you can still change font....try a dark one, have a fiddle in Word first and see what looks best for you, then change to that.
    Ex-pctek

and personal files such as my Music folder all have very light text for the main part of the file.
    This reads as its a system wide fault, not just a Browser.

While you can make the fonts larger or smaller in W10 MS in their Wisdom have removed the option to darken or adjust the default colours, BUT in a MS forum they suggest the Winareo I suggested previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-make-text-darker-on-windows-10-screen.

Suggest you try to run a system check to see if it finds any faults. Open a CMD from Search, type in sfc /scannow <Press enter> See if it finds any faults.

Other wise more info --- Do you have any type of program installed that changes Themes, pictures , settings etc. Often (but not always) it can be something installed that can cause a problem.

Could also be that the Monitor needs to be re Calibrated. One way (quick) to test this if you have another monitor plug that in and see if it replicates the problem.

This may sound like a silly question but its not.. What color is the Taskbar ?? Dark or light ?? Also do you have a Custom desktop Picture ?

If its light there could be a theme problem. As mentioned above themes can change many settings including text.

Older by the minute

Taskbar is black and I use a solid (dark blue) background.