Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I don't know Nettlebed cave near the Pearse resurgence has an underground campsite, have slept there a few times, also Bulmer cave up on Mt Owen has at least 3 campsites in it as its such a big cave network 60-70km of passages and still more being explored.
    I have been to the Pearse valley resurgence its very close to where I used to live, one valley up in fact. You couldn't camp in because a river flows out of it.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

_____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    I have been to the Pearse valley resurgence its very close to where I used to live, one valley up in fact. You couldn't camp in because a river flows out of it.
    Up the side stream 100m or so is the cave, the actual resurgence has been dived but one diver is still in there 20 years on. Cave divers are mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I heard someone say, just recently, that everyone knows and uses maori words daily. Well I do know some maori words - you can't help knowing some maori words as they are used by TVNZ and others fairly often - but I don't use maori words - English is my language and I have no use for maori words and have no inclination to use them.

TVNZ announcers - Simon Dallow in particular - mumble on with some maori (I assume) phrases that I have no idea what they mean and I imagine that the majority of viewers would not know what they are mumbling about either. So why do they do it? Just to be PC? Let's speak English which is the language that the majority of NZers understand.
    Appreciate your point of view. NZ is a free country with free speech which I support. Iím therefore allowed to use my own free speech.

Iím myself a member of a minority group, Deaf people who use NZ Sign Language (NZSL). I think not many Deaf people can write as well as I can. Iíve even been called a leader of Deaf people.

Hereís a challenge for you my fellow Kiwi. Learn both basic NZSL and basic Maori, thereís an ideal time coming up, namely NZSL Week which runs from 10 to 16 May, you can go to a taster class in your town. Do you accept this challenge? Maori Language Week is 13-19 Sept.

Can you put yourself in and walk kilometres in the shoes of Maori people and Deaf people whose minority languages arenít understood by the majority of Kiwis? Lots of members of both groups have experienced significant disparities.

Hereís something like putting yourself in the shoes of Maori, read the story ďPoverty will cripple Māori if housing crisis is not addressed - iwi leaderĒ
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/30...ed--iwi-leader

Perhaps being more fluent in Maori will enable you to assist more with closing these disparities in the Stuff.co.nz story in partnership with Maori? And itíll help you understand Simon Dallowís Te Reo. Bravo on TVNZ for showing leadership with this use of Maori now.

Cheers,
    Barry.

I want to quickly add a word to this question:
    "in partnership with Maori?"

to "in equal partnership with Maori?".

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    Appreciate your point of view. NZ is a free country with free speech which I support. I’m therefore allowed to use my own free speech.

I’m myself a member of a minority group, Deaf people who use NZ Sign Language (NZSL). I think not many Deaf people can write as well as I can. I’ve even been called a leader of Deaf people.

Here’s a challenge for you my fellow Kiwi. Learn both basic NZSL and basic Maori, there’s an ideal time coming up, namely NZSL Week which runs from 10 to 16 May, you can go to a taster class in your town. Do you accept this challenge? Maori Language Week is 13-19 Sept.

Can you put yourself in and walk kilometres in the shoes of Maori people and Deaf people whose minority languages aren’t understood by the majority of Kiwis? Lots of members of both groups have experienced significant disparities.

Here’s something like putting yourself in the shoes of Maori, read the story “Poverty will cripple Māori if housing crisis is not addressed - iwi leader”
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/30...ed--iwi-leader

Perhaps being more fluent in Maori will enable you to assist more with closing these disparities in the Stuff.co.nz story in partnership with Maori? And it’ll help you understand Simon Dallow’s Te Reo. Bravo on TVNZ for showing leadership with this use of Maori now.

Cheers,
    Barry.
    The use of sign language is fully justified. It enables anyone with no other option to communicate with others and understand what is happening in their world. The same cannot be said about the Maori language.

Up the side stream 100m or so is the cave, the actual resurgence has been dived but one diver is still in there 20 years on. Cave divers are mad.
    Actually, I seem to recall that a group of Aussies retrieved Dave's body some years ago when they came across it during an exploration.
    Edit: found an article that mentioned his body was retrieved in Jan 1997.
    Last edited by user; 17-04-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Actually, I seem to recall that a group of Aussies retrieved Dave's body some years ago when they came across it during an exploration.
    Edit: found an article that mentioned his body was retrieved in Jan 1997.
    Interesting as the other guy told me it was still in there. But I don't know that for sure.

I don't know NZ sign language but do know basic BSL

But I don't know that for sure.

I don't know NZ sign language but do know basic BSL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSL.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	10868

Hmmmmm
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSL.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	10868

Hmmmmm
    Nope British sign language, which just like speech has many local interpretations and accents