Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    English is my language and I have no use for maori words and have no inclination to use them.
    That must be damn awkward seeing as you live in Onehunga. Do you just give your GPS co-ordinates instead of your address?

Some people have a right bee in their bonnet at the moment. Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    That must be damn awkward seeing as you live in Onehunga.
    I was not talking about maori names (as in towns or suburbs) I was talking about using maori words instead of English words, which many people do not understand. If you read my post fully, you would have read that I was talking about Simon Dallow in particular mumbling maori phrases that few people understand.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

I had no use for sign language either until my sister had a deaf son, deaf from birth and I realised that it is an official language in the UK and bloody hard to learn, my niece two years younger than my deaf nephew never spoke until she started school age 5 and I mean never. As a family we tried everything but because her brother didn't speak she wouldn't. However once she did start nothing stops her.

Not learning the official languages of your country isn't a waste of time, it is en-fact incredibly embarrassing and if you are too rude not to learn just don't put your ignorance on show keep it to yourself.

Old guy

There is a time and place for everything. It is extremely annoying when random Maori phrases which few understand are introduced into what is actually supposed to be a news program in English which is still an official language in this country. I have no problem with people speaking their own language whenever they want to but language is supposed to convey information from one person to another if it doesn't do that it is a waste of time. I can make myself understood in a few different languages but I am not about to start imposing them on others just to pretend to be clever.

Quite agree, Clive. That's just what I think.

And I think that you are right that you are "not about to start imposing them on others just to pretend to be clever." And I think that that has a lot to do with it - just pretending to be clever. But I don't think it's all that clever when, as you say, few understand. I think that they are just using maori words just for the sake of using maori words.

I too, have no problem with people speaking their own language among themselves, but when they use their language in a situation where few understand it in place of English words, among English speakers, then I think that it is, as you say, just pretending to be clever. And I think I've heard enough! Let's get back to the language that the majority understand and put maori where it belongs - with the maoris and don't impose it upon English speakers, such as myself, who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about

Jesus Roscoe, why not just change the thread title to "I'm uneducated and racist"? It would be more accurate.

Te Reo belongs with all of us - it is part of what makes Aotearoa unique and we all have a part to play in keeping the language alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Te Reo belongs with all of us - it is part of what makes Aotearoa unique and we all have a part to play in keeping the language alive.
    It might belong to you but it certainly does not belong to me. It might be unique but I don't have or want any part in keeping it alive. It should be the maoris who want to keep it alive - not me. Having no interest in the maori language does not make me any more racist than not having any interest in the French language makes me anti French.

I reiterate: I am NZ European and English is my language and I have no interest in a cave man language and in particular I object to it being pushed upon me, in particular, on TVNZ.

And I'm not the only person with that opinion. Did you not read what CliveM had to say? I don't see you taking him to task.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

On one hand we have people deploring Racism, and on the other the same people are promoting it.

Somebody tell them they can’t have it both ways.

The light is ON or Off.

For me this "Special Treatment" for Maori has gone too far and is straight out Racist.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    For me this "Special Treatment" for Maori has gone too far and is straight out Racist.
    I quite agree, BM. And it has been going on for years. One example is maori going to university. Europeans have to pay to go to university but not maori. You would have thought that that would encourage more maori to attend university but that does not seem to be the case.

And you're quite right. I call it racism in reverse.

Simon Dallow's persistent use of Maori arrogance, really pisses me off.

As does one TV weather reporter.

I agree 100% with those sick of the use of cave man language.
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!