Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91
  1. #1

    Unhappy I have no use for a cave man language

    I heard someone say, just recently, that everyone knows and uses maori words daily. Well I do know some maori words - you can't help knowing some maori words as they are used by TVNZ and others fairly often - but I don't use maori words - English is my language and I have no use for maori words and have no inclination to use them.

    TVNZ announcers - Simon Dallow in particular - mumble on with some maori (I assume) phrases that I have no idea what they mean and I imagine that the majority of viewers would not know what they are mumbling about either. So why do they do it? Just to be PC? Let's speak English which is the language that the majority of NZers understand.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,437

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    ... English is my language and I have no use for maori words and have no inclination to use them.

    .
    but you dont seem to mind all the French, German, Latin words in the English Language ???

    Maori is an official Language in NZ . So better get used to it

  3. #3
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,813

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    I always get a chuckle when watching sign language. SWMBO growls at me for laughing about it.

    Then, I showed her this one.......

    https://youtu.be/5iqjGCLXQyA Caution! This may offend you!

    Ken

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    413

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I heard someone say, just recently, that everyone knows and uses maori words daily. Well I do know some maori words - you can't help knowing some maori words as they are used by TVNZ and others fairly often - but I don't use maori words - English is my language and I have no use for maori words and have no inclination to use them.

    TVNZ announcers - Simon Dallow in particular - mumble on with some maori (I assume) phrases that I have no idea what they mean and I imagine that the majority of viewers would not know what they are mumbling about either. So why do they do it? Just to be PC? Let's speak English which is the language that the majority of NZers understand.
    The title of your post suggests that one way to solve your problem might be to re-calibrate the way you see the world and how other people live.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    but you dont seem to mind all the French, German, Latin words in the English Language ???
    At least I know what all those words mean. I learnt them all at school. But I have no idea what all those maori words mean.

    And it does not make any difference that it's an official language. NZ Sign language is also an official language and I have no idea what all those gestures mean either, but according to you I had "better get used to it." Well, I'm not going to get used to either of them. Neither language has any relevance or use to me and I don't think that maori, being an official language, is understood by anyone just because it is an official language. But from your attitude, it seems that you may be in the minority and you understand maori. Well, good on you. But I am NZ European and English is my language and I have no use for a cave man language.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  6. #6

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    I always get a chuckle when watching sign language. SWMBO growls at me for laughing about it.

    Then, I showed her this one.......

    https://youtu.be/5iqjGCLXQyA Caution! This may offend you!

    Ken
    Very good, Ken. At least I understood that sign language.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    The shut up about it. You don't have to talk about it when you said you "don't care". The world wouldn't stop for you.

  8. #8
    Short Member pcuser42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pukekohe Shuttle
    Posts
    10,117

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Maori is an official Language in NZ . So better get used to it
    And English is not.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

    Twitter

  9. #9
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    3,560

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I have no use for a cave man language.
    kiriweti tawhito kaikiri
    Ex-pctek

  10. #10
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,579

    Default Re: I have no use for a cave man language

    Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    I always get a chuckle when watching sign language. SWMBO growls at me for laughing about it.

    Then, I showed her this one.......

    https://youtu.be/5iqjGCLXQyA Caution! This may offend you!

    Ken
    Cant find it now, But remember a Clip where Kevin Bloody Wilson (Aussie comedian) was taking the Piss out on the Signer at one of his concerts, he was saying he kind of feels bad for the signer, but its fun giving him a hard time with all the foul language and jokes, and the cameras turned to the Signer guy who was signing what was being said, he was cracking up laughing at the same time.

Similar Threads

  1. Another Cave creek.
    By tut in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
  2. Worlds largest cave
    By Gobe1 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26-04-2012, 07:32 AM
  3. Language Bar
    By bot in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 09:52 AM
  4. DVD Language.
    By Poppa John in forum PressF1
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19-07-2008, 09:40 AM
  5. language bar in xp pro
    By tech501 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •