Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    No it is just connecting the pipe to the tank! Stop trying to guess and employ a plumber to sort it out for you.
    It is probably the "Ajax" Valve, probably situated under the floor that is causing the problem.

    If your water is metered and water is running out the pipe above the roof, it will be costing you for the water as well as the electricity.

    An Ajax valve is simple enough to service, but I support Clive's recommendation to employ a Plumber who has the tools and parts.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    It is probably the "Ajax" Valve, probably situated under the floor that is causing the problem.

    If your water is metered and water is running out the pipe above the roof, it will be costing you for the water as well as the electricity.

    An Ajax valve is simple enough to service, but I support Clive's recommendation to employ a Plumber who has the tools and parts.
    See photo of the valve. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F93DDACB-1F8B-4CAD-8D1C-B26D54D5A8FE.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	10909Looks like an Ajax valve, can it be confirmed? Got a plumber in to adjust the pressure reduction valve. It has stopped the problem. However the plumber told me that the cylinder is at the end of its life. It might be less than three months from now when the old cylinder will have to be replaced by a new mains pressure cylinder.

  3. #33
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    See photo of the valve. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F93DDACB-1F8B-4CAD-8D1C-B26D54D5A8FE.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	10909Looks like an Ajax valve, can it be confirmed? Got a plumber in to adjust the pressure reduction valve. It has stopped the problem. However the plumber told me that the cylinder is at the end of its life. It might be less than three months from now when the old cylinder will have to be replaced by a new mains pressure cylinder.
    Yep, that is the Ajax Valve or pressure reducing valve.

    Unfortunately, you can't just undo the crox nuts and remove the valve without getting wet and scalded.

    It really is Plumbers work.

    Not sure I'd go Mains Pressure either without taking a good look at the rest of the plumbing.

    Swapping to Mains Pressure can lead to other problems with Faucets, Shower Mixers, Taps and the pipework itself.

    It is not at all strait forward if you are not sure what you're doing.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  4. #34
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    3,256

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Yep, that is the Ajax Valve or pressure reducing valve.
    )

    Nope. It hasn't been an Ajax valve for ages.
    It's a Nefa or Apex. And it's a Pressure Reducing Valve.

    Reduce the pressure . Try about 1 anticlockwise turn of the adjustment screw at a time.
    Replace the small washer under the cap . If noone has done it before you can turn over the old washer if you don't have a new one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prvs.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	10910
    Ex-pctek

  5. #35
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Nope. It hasn't been an Ajax valve for ages.
    It's a Nefa or Apex. And it's a Pressure Reducing Valve.

    Reduce the pressure . Try about 1 anticlockwise turn of the adjustment screw at a time.
    Replace the small washer under the cap . If noone has done it before you can turn over the old washer if you don't have a new one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prvs.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	10910
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  6. #36
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    3,256

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Yes well, you can adjust them, you can change out washers...husband used to.


    Or just forget it and get a plumber to replace it.
    Can't say I enjoy plumbing either...we getting a guy to reinstall the loo shortly, cause I don't want to and husband er...did something a bit wrong when he last messed with it. Not that he could help it by then.
    Ex-pctek

  7. #37
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: Two of the four elements donít work properly on my stove

    Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Nope. It hasn't been an Ajax valve for ages.
    It's a Nefa or Apex. And it's a Pressure Reducing Valve.

    Reduce the pressure . Try about 1 anticlockwise turn of the adjustment screw at a time.
    Replace the small washer under the cap . If noone has done it before you can turn over the old washer if you don't have a new one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prvs.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	10910
    I stand by what I stated and you chose to contradict.

    If you read the thread you will see the owner has already advised that it's an older house.

    If you look at the photo the owner supplied you will see see a galvanised Waste Pipe in the background which is a bit of a give-away as to vintage.

    So Iím going to stand by the fact that the picture shows an elderly Ajax Pressure Reducing Valve as I stated and you contradicted.

    As for adjusting the valve one turn at a time, you will either go around in circles or have a poor shower pressure.

    I note in post #30 zqwerty recommends adjustments be at half turn intervals and I agree that is acceptable, but personally, I prefer 1/4 turn and even then you have to check in the middle of the night to make sure the rise in supply water pressure doesnít have it wasting water, and heating, whilst you sleep. One turn at a time is nonsense in my book, and at the end of the day the problem is probably a piece of grit under the valve and nothing to do with adjustment.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Similar Threads

  1. VB6 wont work properly, new laptop
    By williamF in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
  2. cmd commands doesn't work properly
    By heni72847 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13-07-2007, 06:20 PM
  3. Getting cdrom to work properly
    By jcr1 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-11-2005, 09:19 PM
  4. Autoplay won't work properly on win XP pro
    By jackyht in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-04-2003, 12:55 PM
  5. game doesn't work properly
    By vk_dre in forum PressF1
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2002, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •