Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Advice please for missing optical drive from PC

Hi everyone, in my ongoing series of being completely inept with tech, I would love some guidance, direction and shaking of heads at my ineptness please!

Long story short, my optical drive is not showing up on file explorer, or windows media player or VLC...

I can generally open it once, insert a disc (music or files/programs); sometimes it will spin, other times not, either way nothing shows on the PC to indicate anything is happening.

I am unable to eject a disc once inserted, even when pushing the button on the drive (despite using it to open it in the first place!). I have to use paperclip in the release hold, and the drive is completely unresponsive after that.

The drive does however show up in device manager. Uninstalling driver for it to reinstall upon boot up (the fix that shows up on a recurring basis on various websites e.g. microsoft, dell, random help sites) does not correct this.

I have a Dell 9020 SFF, i7 processor with 16gb ram, and Windows 10 Pro version 2004, upgraded from windows 8 and then a complete reinstall.

I'm scratching my head, because everything online has pointers for if the drive doesn't show up on file explorer and device manager (not applicable here), and other references to unstalling IDE/ATAPI drivers is a no go as they aren't on my devie manager at all. Your help, guidance and ahem, have you tried [easy solution here] is much appreciated - thank you for reading!

Default Re: Advice please for missing optical drive from PC

Booting off a linux live flash drive should confirm If it's a software issue or a hardware one. Or if you have any bootable optical disk and can get it to boot. You may have to get into the BIOS and change the boot order for these.
    If it's a hardware issue you either have a dead cable, sata port (or IDE if it's that old), or drive. The drive is the most likely of the 3, they do wear out. The cable is the easiest to check though if you have a spare one around to swap.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php is one linux download you could use
    https://rufus.ie/en/ is a tool to create bootable flash drives from an iso image
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

You could try these
    https://www.easeus.com/computer-inst...indows-10.html
    Especially solution 5
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Puppy View Post
    Long story short, my optical drive is not showing up on file explorer, or windows media player or VLC...

I can generally open it once, insert a disc (music or files/programs); sometimes it will spin, other times not, either way nothing shows on the PC to indicate anything is happening.

!
    It's dead.
    Get a new one.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Booting off a linux live flash drive should confirm If it's a software issue or a hardware one. Or if you have any bootable optical disk and can get it to boot. You may have to get into the BIOS and change the boot order for these.
    If it's a hardware issue you either have a dead cable, sata port (or IDE if it's that old), or drive. The drive is the most likely of the 3, they do wear out. The cable is the easiest to check though if you have a spare one around to swap.

(linus links)
    Thank you I have checked the cables, but will swap one out when installing my graphics card. Will try the linux route next - don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Quote Originally Posted by feersumendjinn View Post
    You could try these
    [easeus link]
    Thank you - Will run through the list if linux attempt shows drive is working

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    It's dead.
    Get a new one.
    Knowing my luck, most likely

Thanks everyone, stay tuned for the next thrilling episode!

Personally wont bother with a Linux USB.

The USB is more than likely fine, its the Optical drive that's the problem, I'd be more inclined to boot from a Linux CD/DVD, that way if there's a Problem with the Drive it Will Show. Booting from a USB, all that does is detect if its there or not. Then maybe putting in a Disc to test , which may or may not replicate a problem - talk about doing more than required

Had a problem with my Blu-ray Drive a few months back , would only work when it wanted, sometimes didn't show, did all the usual, cables, different power plug, in the end changed the Drive and perfect ever since (as piroska Posted)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Personally wont bother with a Linux USB.

The USB is more than likely fine, its the Optical drive that's the problem, I'd be more inclined to boot from a Linux CD/DVD [...]
    If I had a bootable disk I would - my thoughts were to boot off of linux, and try to play or load something.

Older by the minute

Try playing a music CD.

Older by the minute

Do you have another machine you could try it on? Like the others, it would seem that the drive is the fault. How long ago did it operate successfully?

Just buy a USB DVD drive .

The best way to 100% test your flacky DVD drive is to replace it, that not practical for many home users
    PC's DVD/CD is obsolete anyway, so do you even need it now ?