Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Farewell"

Default "Farewell"

Well it’s no longer news that Prince Philip has passed away just two months short of his 100th birthday, but rumour has it he was anxious to avoid a telegram from the Queen.

Being a bit of a Royalist at heart I’ve been reading the news reports on his life, a lot I never had a clue about, but this article cracked me up.

Let’s offend everyone. HERE
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Default Re: "Farewell"

Some (most) of those are bloody Classics Not really what you would expect from Royals, wonder if the Queen was thinking to herself

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Some (most) of those are bloody Classics Not really what you would expect from Royals, wonder if the Queen was thinking to herself
    Wainui, I don’t think many understand how Royalty works.

Here’s a little story going back a number of years, related by a guy I went to school with.

A good number of years ago now, Prince Charles was out here and his having a game of Polo was organised at his request.

Well I remember the Press getting hold of it and going mad about the dangers of the game and steps that should be taken to protect his well-being.

Anyway, the Polo Match went ahead and the following feedback came from the guy I went to school with.

“That bugger is as hard a man as I’ve ever played Polo against”. (And that was from a guy who played Polo for NZ).

As is normal there were a few drinks later and “Charlie” was asked if he would like a Beer.

“I’d love a Beer came the reply, but beer makes me Fart, and if I Fart it will be all around Fleet Street in the morning”.

May I have a Gin & Tonic?

Do I detect a “Chip off the Old Block” here?
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Their public face and private face are 2 different things, except for the likes of Philip and perhaps Andrew....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    “I’d love a Beer came the reply, but beer makes me Fart, and if I Fart it will be all around Fleet Street in the morning”.

May I have a Gin & Tonic?
    Nice one, BM. I imagine this must have happened at Clevedon, and I also wonder if this remark may have been made more in anticipation of an amorous liaison with a (then) young local lady whose name rhymed with bonking (as Fleet Street proved eager to pounce on)
    Last edited by WalOne; 12-04-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Nice one, BM. I imagine this must have happened at Clevedon, and I also wonder if this remark may have been made more in anticipation of an amorous liaison with a (then) young local lady whose name rhymed with bonking (as Fleet Street proved eager to pounce on)
    And as the old adage goes "What happens on Tour, stays on Tour".

Much to the disgust of the Media.

And as the old adage goes "What happens on Tour, stays on Tour".

Much to the disgust of the Media.
    The media was quick to coin "bonkin tonkin"

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    I've been scratching my head on this one Wal and wonder if the guy you're referring to was Mark, not Charlie?

I've been scratching my head on this one Wal and wonder if the guy you're referring to was Mark, not Charlie?
    My bad!!! You're absolutely right.

I googled bonkin tonkin, and that led to be some royalist goss site that posted

I lived in Auckland in the 80s.
    Heather Tonkin worked at a school that my son attended.He came home one day saying that the kids had been calling her "bonkin Tonkin" when the news was out about her and Mark Phillips.
    Bunny Tonkin was a little blonde girl in the lower clkasses at that time.I think she looked about 3 or four.If my memory serves me right.
    Heather Tonkin had a ranch not far from where we lived
    Well spotted BM

Dr Lester Levy

Leonard Cohen

Ex-pctek