Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Agree Roscoe. Hope you had a great Easter..
    Thank you for your Easter wishes, Paul. We are going over to our daughter's place for an Easter egg hunt which we are certain our grandson will enjoy as much as us.

    And we went out to a lovely service on Sunday.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  2. #12
    Soaring like an Eagle gary67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a field in Hanmer
    Posts
    14,786

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Because the thousands were criminals. The one that they singled out was Jesus Christ, the son of God. I thought everyone knew that story. Where have you been? On another planet?
    Then as now plenty would have been innocent but still sent down. And where is the proof that there is a god, if it, they exist then a better PR company is needed and some real proof, not just hearsay. Its just like a game of Chinese whispers.

  3. #13
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    3,111

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

    You don't need to profess that you are a Christian but at least be aware that if it were not for the story (whether you believe it or not) you would not have a four day weekend.
    )
    Wrong.
    Eostre was a goddess of spring or renewal and that's why her feast is attached to the vernal equinox.

    The bright colors are a reflection of the spring flowers blooming and egg itself may be linked to chickens’ return to laying after the long winter months where chicken’s lay very few, if any, eggs. The Easter rabbit symbolizes fertility.

    She’s mentioned in the writings of an 8th century monk known as Venerable Bede, who reported that pagan Anglo-Saxons in medieval Northumbria held festivals in her honor during the month of April.

    It just got corrupted.
    Ex-pctek

  4. #14

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Then as now plenty would have been innocent but still sent down. And where is the proof that there is a god, if it, they exist then a better PR company is needed and some real proof, not just hearsay. Its just like a game of Chinese whispers.
    I'm certain that you are correct. Many would have been innocent.

    But where is the proof that there is a God? It's all around you. You just have to look at the wonder of nature and how many species depend on others. Only a fool would think it an accident. You may not call the Creator, God, but you can't deny that something or someone created the earth and all that is in it. It's just too complicated to have happened by chance.

    It's obvious that everything has been designed. Look at your own body. You surely can't think that it somehow just mysteriously happened. And all the animals and plants. How did they begin?

    So, if you want some real proof, all you need do is look around you. That's not hearsay. You can't deny the story that has been handed down for over 2,000 years. It's a story that is known and told in every country of the world. Different religions call the Creator different names, but in essence the story is the same.

    You don't have to be religious to see that there is something bigger than all of us. I'm certain that you have seen a nature programme on the TV at some time. That would have told you just how wonderful and diverse our planet is. Certainly you can't believe that is hearsay. If you do, then I wonder about you. How can you deny what is all around you? You can't.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  5. #15
    amateur expert dugimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,070

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    I don't want to turn this into a discussion on religion, I'll just say I disagree with any of that being proof of a creator and that I agree with piroska that easter is a christian appropriation of older traditions.
    If telling a story for a long time makes it true, why aren't the older religions the real ones ? And no they are not essentially the same. I could go on, but not in this thread.

    I do enjoy my 4 days off and an excuse to eat some chocolate, I don't personally feel the need to think about any religious reasons behind it. To me religions are ancient superstitions we should have grown out of by now.
    It is entirely possible to enjoy a holiday without sharing beliefs around it. Same deal for Christmas, great time to catch up with family, exchange gifts, enjoy good food, have some time off, but it has no other significance to me.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

  6. #16

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    I agree, Easter is a great time of the year. Wishing you all the best!

  7. #17
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,575

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    My Mum was a Christian. Her God sure thought up a prick of a way for her to die. 7 years slowly of dementia. I won't describe it.

    She loved God but thought the downfall of religion was the churches. Said she would be closer to God sitting in the middle of a paddock than in any church. No service when she died, just us kids putting her ashes in with Dads and then talking of how much she loved us. That's what she wanted.

    There you go Roscoe. That's me looking around us. Sorry, very hard to believe and I was raised in a Christian house.

    Ken

  8. #18
    Soaring like an Eagle gary67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a field in Hanmer
    Posts
    14,786

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a discussion on religion, I'll just say I disagree with any of that being proof of a creator and that I agree with piroska that easter is a christian appropriation of older traditions.
    If telling a story for a long time makes it true, why aren't the older religions the real ones ? And no they are not essentially the same. I could go on, but not in this thread.

    I do enjoy my 4 days off and an excuse to eat some chocolate, I don't personally feel the need to think about any religious reasons behind it. To me religions are ancient superstitions we should have grown out of by now.
    It is entirely possible to enjoy a holiday without sharing beliefs around it. Same deal for Christmas, great time to catch up with family, exchange gifts, enjoy good food, have some time off, but it has no other significance to me.


    If we were all designed as per Roscoe's idea then it was done with some major flaws and there must be newer versions of us with those flaws removed.

  9. #19
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,820

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Well Ive been thinking.

    There are over 4000 different Religions in the World and if they all give us 4 Days off were going to need more days.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

    I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Happy Easter. Don't forget the reason for the season.

    Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post


    If we were all designed as per Roscoe's idea then it was done with some major flaws and there must be newer versions of us with those flaws removed.
    I never said it was perfect, I only said that life on earth is far too complex - with so many species dependent on so many other species - that you would have to be some sort of fool if you believe that it all just happened by accident. You only have to watch the nature programmes on Choice TV each afternoon to realise that all that life did not just happen. It's too complicated for it to have happened just by chance.

    And it's not my idea. I'm just telling you the way that it is. You don't have to believe me - just look around you at the vast amount of life on our planet and then tell me that it just happened. Surely you can't be that foolish. And they're all built in a very similar fashion. All have eyes, noses, mouths, hair, internal organs, arms and legs and all require oxygen and water to live. It's obviously a good design and is repeated many hundreds of times.

    And if you know anything about the long history of animals on this planet, you will know that there were some versions perhaps with "major flaws." Many animals have become extinct over the millennia. Perhaps they died out from "major flaws." And yes, newer versions did appear. Some, like the tuatara have been around for millions of years. It seems that they do not have "major flaws." Others, such as many animals today, have been around for a much shorter time.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Similar Threads

  1. Happy Easter!!
    By stu161204 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-04-2014, 02:15 PM
  2. The silly Season - or the Killing season?
    By WalOne in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-12-2012, 11:49 AM
  3. Happy easter :)
    By sambaird in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-03-2005, 11:16 AM
  4. O.T. Happy Easter to all PF1 users
    By beetle in forum PressF1
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-04-2003, 04:25 PM
  5. HAPPY EASTER
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-03-2002, 01:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •