Bleakly Optomistic

Default No internet on one pc

My current "network" setup is as follows.

Laptop connects to the wifi downstairs, then that laptop uses mobile Hotspot.
    My pc is in another room, and previously connected to the internet via the mobile Hotspot network. About a week ago, it started to drop out and I would run the network troubleshooter to get it back up and running. The error was usually no valid ip address.

I'm typing this from my phone that is connected to the mobile Hotspot (mobile data has been turned off to verify this) so it's something in the pc. I've tried a network reset. Basically everything on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-7f07eee84d2c

No joy. I've tried using a different wifi card. I've tried renaming the network and password.

Can you think of anything else I could try?

Old guy

Default Re: No internet on one pc

Give it a fixed IP address.

Can see the Setup causing problems. Mobile hotspots are not really designed for a long term connection. All it takes is the Laptop to have a problem and you lose both Connections.

One thing to try if you haven't already, is go into the Wireless - Locate the Previous connection - Delete it, the see if it shows up again ( after a reboot).

As a longer term fix you may be better off getting some EOP devices, and run them Via your power Sockets that way you eliminate the various connections and possible failure points.

Bleakly Optomistic

Yeah. I should look to get an extender. To me it's strange because the setup has worked for the last three years.

Regarding fixed ip address
    What range should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Yeah. I should look to get an extender. To me it's strange because the setup has worked for the last three years.

Regarding fixed ip address
    What range should I use?
    I personally would'nt use an "Extender" they are different to EOP devices. Extenders take the weak end of a signal and push it along further, where as a EOP puts the connection at 100% in the room its plugged into using the power wires in your house. Hence the Name Ethernet Over Power or sometimes called Powerline Networking.

IP Range -- Depending on if the Router has the full range available you can have a number anywhere from 2-253. Some routers have fixed ranges Eg: 1-100

Do an ipconfig from Command Prompt on a working Connection, look for the Default gateway, they usually end in 1 or 254 ( depending on router) and select any IP apart from the one you get doing the ipconfig.

Most of mine are static - gets quite easy to trouble shoot then ( have the IPs written down to the device) , Only got a "few" (everything's not on at the moment.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Static IP's.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	10834
    Last edited by wainuitech; 03-04-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Bleakly Optomistic

Should the static ip be set on both the laptop and pc?

Also. Do the eop devices need to be on the same power fuse/line?

Should the static ip be set on both the laptop and pc?

Also. Do the eop devices need to be on the same power fuse/line?
    Setting the Static on the Laptop and PC will assure its got the same IP every time. You can assign IP's on the Router to Devices, But I never do, I set them on the Device That way its the device telling the Router "I'm taking this one". Also good if Changing routers ( with same IP range) I changed my Router not so long ago, and each device just carried on as if nothing happened.

EOP-- Have to be on the same circuit Board, Meaning if you have your house and all power points go back to the same circuit board then 99% of the time its fine. In My Workshop I can plug in a EOP and it will work fine as its going back to the one circuit board located in the house even though the Workshop Does have a Circuit Board as well.

Where a problem will occur EXAMPLE: lets say you have your house, but a sleepout has its own separate power Feed/Circuit board from the Street. ( two separate power Bills) then that wont work.

Edited: I always use TP-Links, this video shows how they work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziWUI88dGLY
    Last edited by wainuitech; 03-04-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Bleakly Optomistic

It's the railway hotel in Otaki. Different boards..... so the eop won't work unfortunately. I'm not going to change the router settings as that serves the pokies and eftpos machines etc.
    I'll give the static addresses a go. Thanks for your help

It's the railway hotel in Otaki. Different boards..... so the eop won't work unfortunately. I'm not going to change the router settings as that serves the pokies and eftpos machines etc.
    I'll give the static addresses a go. Thanks for your help
    Right-o that would cause a problem. In That Case actual "Extenders" would work. ( may need more than one)

EOP normally works better than Extenders as you can have them right in the room you want.

The thing is with Extenders is don't get them to far apart, there has to be a good overlap, this is where many people fall over and wonder why they don't work.

Example from a Netgear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wireless Overlap.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	10836

WiFi is great, very convenient and easy. Wired connections however are better in every way except for mobility, if you PC sits in one space consider running a cable to it.
    It's the most physical work, but it's the cheapest and most reliable option when you can do it. If the building makes it difficult then maybe ignore that option
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070