Default Why were Beatles Albums pressed in mono in NZ?

My brother bought the early Beatles albums and when I listened to them I thought they were great, so when I went to Aussie in 1967 I missed them so I went and bought my own copies in Sydney. I was surprised and delighted. All the albums were in stereo. I had thought that The Beatles' albums were pretty good, but to hear them in stereo was so much better!

So why were The Beatles' albums pressed in mono in NZ when they were pressed in stereo in Aussie? The first Beatles' album to be pressed in stereo in NZ was Sgt Peppers. So why did they wait until then to press The Beatles in stereo? It beggars belief and it makes me glad that I bought my albums in Sydney.

When I thought about it, it seemed to me that different masters (for pressing) would be required for mono and stereo. So why didn't they use the same masters as Aussie? Did they think that Kiwis were not ready for something as sophisticated as stereo music but big brother, Aussie, was?

And a footnote to that: I arrived in Sydney with a copy of Sgt Peppers. The album had not been released in Aussie at that time, so I had about the only copy around so I was very popular and was invited to many parties simply because I had a copy of that album.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Why were Beatles Albums pressed in mono in NZ?

Pavlova, before Aussies'.

Rocket Lab into space with sats.

C'mon, don't knock us Kiwis'!.

I'm not sure you are right. Sgt Peppers (and all before ) was recorded in mono right up to yellow Sub.
    Stereo pressings came out later . Purists will say the monos are best.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy stu View Post
    I'm not sure you are right. Sgt Peppers (and all before ) was recorded in mono right up to yellow Sub.
    Stereo pressings came out later . Purists will say the monos are best.
    I'm not certain what you mean by "came out later", but I bought all their albums up to, but not including Sgt Peppers, in stereo, in Sydney, in 1967, and I bought Sgt Peppers in Auckland in stereo before I went to Sydney and the copies I bought in Sydney are most definitely in stereo. I also bought a copy of Magical Mystery Tour in Sydney and that double EP is also in stereo (once again mono in NZ.)

While purists say mono is best, I listen to the LPs in my headphones and stereo is most definitely better.

But that does not answer the question. Why mono in NZ and stereo in Aussie?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

VoidMaster

I know I'm going to regret it but here goes - New Zealand is a hard bitten, budget society as a rule.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

re "came out later",

"The Beatles had recorded all their previous albums in mono, with stereo versions made without the Beatles’ participation. In “Abbey Road,” however, stereo is central to the album’s creative vision.
    Sir George Martin once remarked "You've never really heard Sgt Pepper until you've heard it in mono"
    Can't comment on the aussie connection.