Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I am not worried about it in the slightest. I do however believe it is a total waste of time and is solely designed to keep the general population suitability fearful and compliant. I refuse to live in fear of a virus that I have to be tested for to see if I have it and if I should catch it has a less than 1% chance of making me ill enough to require hospital treatment.
    Having said that just as I would not wander across a busy road with my eyes shut I do believe in avoiding situations that are likely to cause harm.
    I think you are being overly optimistic. If as your handle says, you are an "old guy" (as am I), then I think your chances of being severely affected are considerably greater than 1%.
    People are tested even when not symptomatic if they have been possibly infected to make sure that nothing escapes. The tracing may seem to be a "waste of time", but that is because we have so far escaped any really widespread infection. If there is a large outbreak I think the tracer app and the Bluetooth linkages will really prove their worth. You only have to look at places like Brazil to see what happens when there is complacency and denial.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think you are being overly optimistic. If as your handle says, you are an "old guy" (as am I), then I think your chances of being severely affected are considerably greater than 1%.
    People are tested even when not symptomatic if they have been possibly infected to make sure that nothing escapes. The tracing may seem to be a "waste of time", but that is because we have so far escaped any really widespread infection. If there is a large outbreak I think the tracer app and the Bluetooth linkages will really prove their worth. You only have to look at places like Brazil to see what happens when there is complacency and denial.
    I am definately in the older age category and I am quite certain that I will die before to many more years have passed but probably of normal age related issues rather than Covid. I do not really care which and I will not be spending the time I have left hiding under the bed in fear of anything. Have a good look at the contrast between California and Florida. California totally locked down and masked up while Florida stayed open with minimum restrictions. Covid related deaths are similar in both states. California is suffering high unemployment and anyone who is able is getting out. Florida is in far better shape despite having a higher percentage of older people. There is a similar contrast between the Nordic countries and the UE. There is a good reason that Cases are reported rather than deaths and there is also a good reason that influenza related deaths reported are significantly lower than they have been in previous years.
    I am far more concerned about the epidemic of youth suicides which is world wide and rarely reported on. Not really surprising that constantly being told that they are all going to be destroyed by climate change if they don't die of Covid first pushes unstable individuals over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Have a good look at the contrast between California and Florida. ....
    Have a look at what happened in New York.
    They had to park refrigerated containers outside hospitals, just to have somewhere to put all the dead bodies.
    A Hospital overflowed into nearby parks where they put up tents. Had to bring in a Hospital ship .
    Sth American countries, dead left rotting in the streets as too many dead to cope with . An overfull hospital forced to close the doors & sick & dying left outside .

If it broke out at the same levels here, the tracing app wouldnt help us .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    If it broke out at the same levels here, the tracing app wouldn't help us .
    That's why we have the tracing app, to try and make sure it doesn't.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    They had to park refrigerated containers outside hospitals, just to have somewhere to put all the dead bodies.
    A Hospital overflowed into nearby parks where they put up tents. Had to bring in a Hospital ship .
    Sth American countries, dead left rotting in the streets as too many dead to cope with . An overfull hospital forced to close the doors & sick & dying left outside .

If it broke out at the same levels here, the tracing app wouldnt help us .
    Yes NY appears to have been totally mismanaged in every way possible mostly for political reasons. The Governor is reportedly in danger of Criminal charges but being a Democrat that is unlikely to be a major issue for him.
    I do believe that after all that has gone under the bridge that we should take a considerd look at the whole situation overall rather than cherry picking examples good or bad just because they fit in with our own preconceived opinions.

VoidMaster

SPAM reported
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by briifdu View Post
    As we almost wasted 2020 for the quarantine, do you think we can expect new releases? And this year does not seem any better. I am from Europe, and the situation does not look to have improved a lot, [edited out spam link]. It means that next year, there will be even fewer new films and series. Hopefully, vaccination will put an end to it. What is your opinion?
    Vaccine's have been rolling out so, I guess, everything is better soon. It is just a matter of time.
    Last edited by Jen; 08-04-2021 at 09:29 PM.