Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I am usually pretty careful about scanning in everywhere (apart from today when I accidentally left my phone at home - d'oh!) I have a couple of questions:
    1. Am I the only person who's app seems to take forever to get to the point where I can do a scan? Maybe I just have an old phone (Galaxy A5).
    2. I have bluetooth enabled as we have been asked to. Does that mean I also have to have the scanner app on all the time as well, or does it all just work automagically in the background?

    BTW and slightly OT, but I'm sure I've seen several people just photographing the QR code rather than using the app. I guess they might start to wonder what is happening when they run out of storage.
    Interesting that the Android app needs to "retrieve running apps" as well as "view network/Wi-Fi connections"... I don't see why it needs to record those things.

  2. #12
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Quote Originally Posted by yasir1 View Post
    Interesting that the Android app needs to "retrieve running apps" as well as "view network/Wi-Fi connections"... I don't see why it needs to record those things.
    I'm not sure that "retrieve" and "view" necessarily imply "record".
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  3. #13
    Old guy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,791

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Why else do they need to see them?
    Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean that they are not out to get you.
    Just because it's a conspiracy theory it is not necessarily wrong.

  4. #14
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Why else do they need to see them?
    Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean that they are not out to get you.
    Just because it's a conspiracy theory it is not necessarily wrong.
    I don't claim to know how the apps work, but I could guess that "retrieve running apps" means it can see if the scanner/bluetooth app is going so it can exchange data (as it is designed to do). "View network/Wi-Fi connections" is presumably required so that the scanned data can be provided to covid-19 tracers.

    Any way, don't worry, you'll be quite safe as long as you keep wearing the tinfoil helmet.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  5. #15
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,361

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Tinfoil helmet will not stop these info gathering techniques however, be skeptical of any government or corporate offers to help you, that they have nothing but your best interests at heart lol.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/t...u-are/p09bh41q
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

  6. #16
    Can't re Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Why is it so hard to answer a genuine question instead of ranting on about how flat the earth is?
    1. Everyone is asked to sign in or scan with the Covid app
    2. Bluetooth doesn't replace the Covid app, it simply allows tracking of anyone who comes near you and your poxy covid germs

    If you are having trouble scanning at the door often there will be another QR code inside that works, maybe the glare outside affects it

    All the above is to allow fast tracking before it spreads. Anyone outside of Auckland is welcome to MIQ, we don't want it here, send the poxy lot to Queenstown or Dunners

    Is covid dangerous - often not but that assumes a hospital bed is available for you and don't forget that Dunedin Hospital reached 'code black' under this wonderful caring government so if covid reaches you there you will be sleeping in the corridors

  7. #17
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    Why is it so hard to answer a genuine question instead of ranting on about how flat the earth is?
    1. Everyone is asked to sign in or scan with the Covid app
    2. Bluetooth doesn't replace the Covid app, it simply allows tracking of anyone who comes near you and your poxy covid germs

    If you are having trouble scanning at the door often there will be another QR code inside that works, maybe the glare outside affects it

    All the above is to allow fast tracking before it spreads. Anyone outside of Auckland is welcome to MIQ, we don't want it here, send the poxy lot to Queenstown or Dunners

    Is covid dangerous - often not but that assumes a hospital bed is available for you and don't forget that Dunedin Hospital reached 'code black' under this wonderful caring government so if covid reaches you there you will be sleeping in the corridors
    I'm not sure what brought all that on. My original question (did you read it?) was to do with aspects of the covid scanning app and the bluetooth activation. I certainly wasn't question its validity or usefulness. As is usual in this forum, there are people who go OT, but as I said at one point, they had obviously forgotten to wear their tinfoil hats, so of course they started talking nonsense.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  8. #18
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,157

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Tin Foil hat types shouldnt be in procession of an Android or Apple phone. Nor a phone made in China , the EU or USA
    All those are spying on you to some extent ,so why be so selective and paranoid about one more app. :-)

    Anyway, back to your question
    Maybee try a software reset of your phone (it deletes all apps & data etc & resets to default) . That might help it with speed running the covid app.

  9. #19
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Anyway, back to your question.
    Maybe try a software reset of your phone (it deletes all apps & data etc & resets to default) . That might help it with speed running the covid app.
    I don't think I'm worried enough about it to go that far. Certainly an option though.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  10. #20
    Old guy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,791

    Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

    I am not worried about it in the slightest. I do however believe it is a total waste of time and is solely designed to keep the general population suitability fearful and compliant. I refuse to live in fear of a virus that I have to be tested for to see if I have it and if I should catch it has a less than 1% chance of making me ill enough to require hospital treatment.
    Having said that just as I would not wander across a busy road with my eyes shut I do believe in avoiding situations that are likely to cause harm.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-12-2018, 12:47 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-06-2015, 03:51 PM
  3. handheld document scanner questions
    By supersi in forum PressF1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-01-2007, 06:42 PM
  5. Bluetooth
    By Wardog in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-11-2006, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •