Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

I am usually pretty careful about scanning in everywhere (apart from today when I accidentally left my phone at home - d'oh!) I have a couple of questions:
    1. Am I the only person who's app seems to take forever to get to the point where I can do a scan? Maybe I just have an old phone (Galaxy A5).
    2. I have bluetooth enabled as we have been asked to. Does that mean I also have to have the scanner app on all the time as well, or does it all just work automagically in the background?

BTW and slightly OT, but I'm sure I've seen several people just photographing the QR code rather than using the app. I guess they might start to wonder what is happening when they run out of storage.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Old guy

Default Re: covid19 scanner app and bluetooth questions

Less than 50% of the people I have seen entering shops even pretend to scan in. Pretending to is what your photographers are doing and I doubt that they are actually taking a photo anyway so storage is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Less than 50% of the people I have seen entering shops even pretend to scan in. Pretending to is what your photographers are doing and I doubt that they are actually taking a photo anyway so storage is not a problem.
    That may be so, but I am sure I have seen people with a phone showing the QR code on the screen when it is clearly not the scanner app operating.

I note nobody has been able to answer my second question about Bluetooth. Surely somebody knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I am usually pretty careful about scanning in everywhere
    I'm not. If I lived in Auckland, maybe but I'm a bit over it.

1. I have a S10 and it's pretty quick, might be an older phone.
    2. Unless we have an outbreak in Welly I won't bother with all that bluetooth palavar. Don't know the answer to the question.

The problem is for All you I wonít both let until thereís an outbreak, is youíve already got two week of this history you havenít got recorded.

My iPhone se takes about half a second to get ready for scanning. And short of glare scans the code in about a second.

I have seen people with older and androids taking a while to scan but thats assuming itís already up and ready.

Maybe a real simple solution if the phone is older and takes a while to get ready to scan is if going somewhere eg bunnings, start the app as you get out of the car so by the time you get to the door itís ready.

Of course retailers could help this issue by having more that just a qr code at the door. So that while in the store if the phone wasnít ready then you can scan later. I doubt exact entry time is all that important, just that you were there the same day within an hour or two. So minutes are a bit irrelevant

Some don't have smart phones.......a few shops have that book to sign, our hairdresser for instance, in fact she only had the book.
    Ex-pctek

My phones got a mind of its own sometimes it takes longer to load than others.

With the Bluetooth on the Covid site it states:

Once you have turned Bluetooth tracing on, it lets your phone exchange anonymous random keys with other nearby phones that also have Bluetooth tracing turned on. It’s like your phone is giving digital high-fives to other phones you are near. The Bluetooth tracing function records how close the other phone was, and for how long.
    It works in the background.

https://covid19.govt.nz/health-and-w...id-tracer-app/ Has a video showing how it works.

Look at it like if there's an outbreak in an Area, the Bluetooth can narrow it down to a smaller area, whether it be a couple of shops, Mall etc.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-03-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    My phones got a mind of its own sometimes it takes longer to load than others.

With the Bluetooth on the Covid site it states:

It works in the background.

https://covid19.govt.nz/health-and-w...id-tracer-app/ Has a video showing how it works.

Look at it like if there's an outbreak in an Area, the Bluetooth can narrow it down to a smaller area, whether it be a couple of shops, Mall etc.
    Well, yes, it works in the background, but there has to be some computing going on, and my question is, how is that initiated? Does it only work (in the background) while the Covid app is active, or does the Covid app set up the background process when it is installed so it operates independently?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Well, yes, it works in the background, but there has to be some computing going on, and my question is, how is that initiated? Does it only work (in the background) while the Covid app is active, or does the Covid app set up the background process when it is installed so it operates independently?
    In the Video in the provided link, in previous post has you'll see how it works About 3/4 of the way down the page.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    In the Video in the provided link, in previous post has you'll see how it works About 3/4 of the way down the page.
    Sorry WT, I should have looked at the link properly. It explicitly says "You do not have to have the app open for it to work.".
    So that wraps all that up!