Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No USB working

Default No USB working

Hi all

I have 2 desktop computers which are having the same problem, which I guess the Title of this thread gives you a clue.

# 1 comp has ASUS Mobo & i3 ... probably 4 or 5 years old with USB 2 only. and is basically a backup and something the nephews and nieces play with.

# 2 comp has Gigabyte Mobo and i7 mix of USB 2 & 3 ... probably 3 yrs old and was, until a couple of days ago, my main computer ... Yep, I know it's old, but it's never let me down !

I was working on #2 comp a couple of days ago, usual stuff like emails, reports, and looking at properties I can no longer afford !! I put the comp to sleep when I went for lunch and when I got back, it didn't come out of sleep mode as usual. The logon screen would come up, however, I couldn't get the wireless mouse or keyboard to respond, hit the reset button and it powered down, restarting quicker than usual, but same problem, no mouse or keyboard. Annoyed, I pulled the power supply off, went and got the spare (wired) mouse and kb which I knew were OK, thinking the wireless may have been a faulty. Switched the power supply back on and the comp powered up but heard the post beep almost immediately WITHOUT having to push the power on switch on the front panel of the computer, login screen came up but again, no mouse or keyboard activity ... then I noticed that the Bluetooth and Wireless LEDs weren't blinking as usual ... tried the reset button but nothing happened ... something weird was going on !!

Got the multimeter out and checked the voltages on the USB ports and other voltages from the power supply and they all checked out OK with 5v at ALL USB ports.

I had to admit defeat so 2 days ago out comes the old backup computer and what do you think happened this morning ?? Exactly the same problem !!

There's only four things I can think of that both computers had in common 1) Plugged into the same power board. 2) Same 1TB expansion drive used. 3) Microsoft updates on both. 4) Same operator ... but don't even THINK about going there peoples !!!

Because there's power to the USB ports, I'm thinking it must be in the data transmission / software, however, I can't even get into the BIOS to see if there's been any changes ... I should also say that this happened to both computers after putting them into sleep mode, but I can't think of what / why / how it happened or what I should try next.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

VoidMaster

Default Re: No USB working

See if there is any question marks in Device Manager. If the usb ports have them, try updating drivers, or use System Restore to return to a time before the problem.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    See if there is any question marks in Device Manager. If the usb ports have them, try updating drivers, or use System Restore to return to a time before the problem.
    And if the keyboard and mouse are not working how does he do that?

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    That would certainly help ... if I could use my mouse or keyboard to get into it !! ... as I said, I can't even get into the BIOS

Older by the minute

Do you leave the External HDD attached? If so, remove it before you boot.

If the keyboard isn't working to get you into the BIOS then it sounds a bit more like a hardware fault than a software one unfortunately. I have had a faulty usb mouse take out a computer before, is it possible the same faulty device damaged both machines?

Does either machine have a PS2 port and can you find one of those keyboards to try getting into the BIOS?

Normally I'd suggest a linux Live flash drive as a test, but that requires a working usb port.

Also 4 or 5 years ago motherboards without USB 3 weren't very common, sure it's not a lot older? say 2010-2013 vintage ? They did exist but only as very basic low end boards for the most part after that.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Bryan ... External HD not attached on bootup.

dugimodo ... the mobo on the newest comp is a Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 but I can't remember exactly when I bought it ... I'd be guessing at 3 years. There's only 3 USB 2 ports and about 8 USB 3

The external HD has been used o both computers, but it's scanned by ESET as soon as it's plugged in and nothing untoward has shown up. The wireless dongle has also been in both but was working OK when the computers were put into sleep mode.

I was meaning the older motherboard, but googling "GA-H170-HD3 release date" got me an answer in NZ of September 2nd, 2015 so that one is likely 4 or 5 years old. Time flies. My "new" PC I built myself that's sitting here is 2.5 years old and I feel like I just built it a couple months ago.

Scanning the drive will show if the data is clean, it won't tell you if the hardware has an issue that is physically damaging the ports. 5V tells you there is power, but not how it behaves with a load or what's going on with the data lines.

Might be worth completely powering down, disconnecting the mains at the wall (or just turn the switch off), and resetting the CMOS, give it a at least 10 mins before powering up and trying to boot up. Then have absolutely nothing connected to a USB port except the wired keyboard and mouse.
    Basically a total cold restart with none of the USB hardware that was used when you had the problem. If by some miracle that works and you want to retry the drive & keyboard and mouse only do one of them at a time not both.

Sometimes a cold restart works, hardware can get into a weird state occasionally. Having it happen identically on 2 different machines is a stretch though.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

cmos batteries?
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

VoidMaster

Try using Linux distribution on DVD and boot off the disk, however if you haven't setup your computer previously, as I do, to boot off DVD before looking at HDD you may have problems since your keyboard and mouse are not working.

If you can get a Linux distribution to work ok that means that it is a Windows problem not Hardware, however mouse and keyboard should be working at boot up to setup bios etc.

Can you try a PS/2 mouse and keyboard if your USB is faulty?
    Last edited by zqwerty; 25-03-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche