Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: There's nothing worth watching on the TV these days

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    It's dire. Dunno about overseas but the NZ content is mostly rubbish. Friends use Amazon Prime instead.
    I've been using ExpressVPN lately and they have servers that can bypass the Netflix VPN blocking.. amazing how different the content is between countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    If your answer is that you don't have a Smart TV then get a SmartVU Dongle from somewhere like PBTech
    Cheers
    Thank you. Great idea. We have just been given a dongle from a mate who has just bought himself a Smart TV. I notice that we can use it to watch British drama (far superior to the Yanks) and so much more so it seems that we will be spoilt for choice. And from what I am told Sky is not worth the money you pay for it. The You Tube content is quite good and, of course, you don't have a Sky subscription to pay.

So, I still say there's nothing worth watching on the TV, so we are looking forward to using the dongle.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

The great boredom buster, available free in most towns and has been used for hundreds of years. Was using it long before TV came to NZ and after Life with Dexter was over on the radio. Better even than It's in the Bag!

It's called a BOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Druid View Post
    The great boredom buster, available free in most towns and has been used for hundreds of years. Was using it long before TV came to NZ and after Life with Dexter was over on the radio. Better even than It's in the Bag!

It's called a BOOK!
    That's what I do through the day. I also listen to the radio.

Do you remember when It's in the Bag started on the radio? It was sometime in the fifties and the first show was done at the Hataitai Kindergarten in Wellington where they did the pilot. My father was one of the contestants and won all the prizes and went right through to the end. Unfortunately, because it was the pilot, the contestants did not receive any of the prizes. The pilot was a success and so they came back to the kindergarten to do the first show. My father was again a contestant and they had real prizes but that time he was eliminated at the beginning of the show and won nothing.

And do you remember when TV came to NZ? I think the year was 1962. There were four stations, AKTV2, Auckland, WNTV1, Wellington, CHTV3, Christchurch and DNTV2, Dunedin. If you lived outside the four main centres you did not receive TV until a few years later. Today, of course, it is so much easier to receive TV. A satellite dish means that you can pick up a signal anywhere in the country.

And did you notice that Auckland and Dunedin were on the same frequency? Normally a TV signal was line of sight so in theory the Auckland signal should not interfere with the Dunedin signal, but occasionally, usually around Easter, atmospheric conditions were such that the Dunedin signal travelled up the ionosphere (I think) and interfered with the Auckland signal. Sometimes it could be quite bad. Now, of course, with digital transmission, that does not happen.

Not sure if I remember the first episodes of It's in the Bag but certainly the early days of it. And Jack Maybury (sp?), too.
    And when TV first came I remember people standing on the footpath outside shop windows where a TV was playing, just to catch Coronation St or Town and Around (a local Wellington program.) Friends and neighbours would be invited to the homes of those with TV, just to watch TV. It would become a weekly thing until the less affluent got a TV of their own after which the visits stopped.

Can't remember what year it was but I was in the Auckland Fire Brigade at the time when the TV signal was changed from the city to Waiatarua and everyone's aerials had to be turned 180 degrees. We were given the job for a day and a list of customers by a TV rental company and of we went, 2 in each team. Did a lot of the "next door neighbour's" ones for cash

Those were the days

Ken

Had got a Dish SmartVU not long ago for a family member Building a new house

Well my Chromecast packed it in so got the Dish SmartVU connected so much better than the Chromecast with content, just one problem when casting from the desktop to the dish there is a sync problem(vid and sound) both Wifi and Ethernet no problems with the Mobile

Also notice that TUBI has slightly different content on Dish than Mobile or Web also lots of Apps not included, BBC iplayer, Pluto that I use with Smart DNS Proxy, still have to set up this with the Mobile later

We have been watching a lot more On Demand these days. A vast improvement to what they are playing on free-to-air TV. We've had a look at the ABC's programme "The Gloaming." There are quite a few twists and turns and it really is worth watching.

The other good programme we have found is the Pommie show, "Happy Valley." Well worth a look.

I think that we are going to be watching a few more On Demand. Much more interesting.

Yes books, I read all the time.........
    But I like some of the docos on Sky.
    Watched Motorway Patrol on TVNZ last night, rather amusing, OMG and these people breed!

The guy in the tunnel trying to turn round! The ones walking all over the motorway, etc...

On Demand is better, beats me why they don't play that stuff instead of the usual crap they advertise on TVNZ....
    Ex-pctek

The idea is to get you hooked on On Demand and then introduce a fee for what is now free.