Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: water blaster recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    Used to have a Karcher.
    Get a Stihl like this one
    https://www.buywright.co.nz/Stihl-RE...erblaster.html
    Go talk to the guys in the shop
    I've seen stuff about Stihl as well. There is a Stihl shop in Glen Eden. I might check them out tomorrow.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Ive had my Karcher 20+ years, zero issues with it.
    The accessories are rip off prices though , so factor that into whatever you buy.

Karcher has a great attachment for cleaning driveways, decks etc . Less aggressive & safer on concrete
    https://www.kaercher.com/nz/accessor...-26440840.html

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Ive had my Karcher 20+ years, zero issues with it.
    The accessories are rip off prices though , so factor that into whatever you buy.

Karcher has a great attachment for cleaning driveways, decks etc . Less aggressive & safer on concrete
    https://www.kaercher.com/nz/accessor...-26440840.html
    I'm quite torn. My first instinct was to go for a Karcher, but I have a suspicion their quality has deteriorated in recent years. I don't have to make an immediate decision, so I might ponder a little while longer.

I bought a cheap unit called MechPro about 2012. I didn't expect to use it much, so went for a cheapie, probably from Mitre10. In fact I have used it quite a bit - first for cleaning badly leaf stained concrete paths prior to selling our house. They came up like new, so I did the drive and parking pad as well. I have since used it on wooden decks and concrete areas in 2 other houses with great success. I probably should have bought a flash make and model, but as I am 76 I now make this sort of decision based upon how much longer I am likely to be using the purchase...

Well I decided to stop stuffing around and just get on with it so I have ordered a Husqvarna PW125 water blaster. There doesn't seem to be a lot between Karcher, Stihl and Husqvarna at this grunt level, and I went with Husqvarna because the Stihl shop man didn't have a clue and the Husqvarna man actually appeared to know what he was talking about, and I have had good experiences with other Husqvarna products. I should be picking it up Friday.
    If you have irrefutable evidence that I've made a huge mistake, I think I'd prefer not to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Well I decided to stop stuffing around and just get on with it
    Usually the best way.

I was torn between Karcher and Nilfisk, and much like a chick buying a car, I went with Karcher for the colour.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    Usually the best way.

I was torn between Karcher and Nilfisk, and much like a chick buying a car, I went with Karcher for the colour.
    Apparently the Husqvarna kit has the innards made by Nilfisk.

That was quick! After ordering it on Tuesday afternoon, it was available for collection on Wednesday. Good service, I think.
    I've now assembled it following all the pretty pictures with absolutely no text, and given it a test run. Apart from getting drenched because my hose connector became detached from the hose (not a Husqvarna fault), it all appears to work brilliantly.

Very few domestic water blasters are manufactured by the Brand Name of the machine. Sometimes they are made in different countries, e.g. some have the works made in China, fitted to a body made in Germany. Karcher (domestic models) have plastic pumps which work well, and are not affected by corrosion, this being the main cause of failure in machines which are seldom used. The draw back is that the pumps tend to crack. Some (Stihl included) do not have stainless steel relief valve springs. These rust, and the rust becomes embedded in the plastic valve parts, jamming the valve. These machines need to be used frequently. After sales service is important. Some retail stores do not have their own service department. My choice would be "Comet" or "Karcher".

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Very few domestic water blasters are manufactured by the Brand Name of the machine. Sometimes they are made in different countries, e.g. some have the works made in China, fitted to a body made in Germany. Karcher (domestic models) have plastic pumps which work well, and are not affected by corrosion, this being the main cause of failure in machines which are seldom used. The draw back is that the pumps tend to crack. Some (Stihl included) do not have stainless steel relief valve springs. These rust, and the rust becomes embedded in the plastic valve parts, jamming the valve. These machines need to be used frequently. After sales service is important. Some retail stores do not have their own service department. My choice would be "Comet" or "Karcher".
    Thanks for all that - very interesting and useful. I have actually bought a Husqvarna (see earlier post), so let's hope it works out OK.