Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to Drive in Auckland

The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday’s rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

The minimum acceptable speed is 80 kph. On motorways, your speed is expected to at least match the number of other cars. Anything less is considered ‘Wussy’.
    Except during peak hour (see above) when everyone is trying to push in at 5kph.

Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. For example, the fastest cars go first at a four-way intersection. Cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go second. The trucks with the biggest tires go third.

If you actually stop at an orange light or stop sign, you will be rear-ended.

Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour cones are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day’s driving a bit more exciting. Generally, city roads other than the main streets have more potholes and bumps (usually speed bumps) than most dirt roads in the countryside.

Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, possums, mattresses, shredded tires.

If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been “accidentally activated”.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: How to Drive in Auckland

indicate no more than 0.001 sec before turning
    ignore free turns , clearly marked at intersections , where you have a free clear merging lane just for you to turn into . Stop and hold up traffic instead.
    Drive insanely close to the car in front, the 2 sec rule doesnt apply in Ak. 1/4 car length on average is all good.
    Get angry at drivers for daring to indicate & slow down to turn left into a driveway , beep angryly as you go past
    When turning out of an intersection or driveway , dont give way , just Pull out in front of oncoming traffic , why wait for them to go past .
    Use the merging lane to overtake as many cars as possible
    At 3pm, clog up the roads around schools , stopping all other trrafic as you sit there waiting for your kids, dont park some where sensible & walk 2 minutes to coolect the kid.
    On the motorway , get into the right hand lane and drive very slowly, ignore the traffic held up behind you

And most importantly, dont even think about driving at the 50k speed limit . You will get angry drivers up your date, trying anything to get passed you .

Unfortunately, all this is true in Ak . All too common .

This is really interesting to know, thanks. This is something that I really need to learn.

In Auckland its because of non NZ born drivers, some driving for a year plus on licenses bought not sat in their corrupt filth ridden countries. I find drivers in Palmerston North to be the worst.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

At intersections, ignore the rule about not entering the intersection unless there is a clear exit. Everyone loves not being able to move.Texting or other handheld phone use is mandatory (even though it's illegal), even though it means only 10% of your attention is on driving a 1.5 tonne machine. If you can't play with your phone, please apply makeup or read those documents that you need to have read for your 9:30am appointment.

Piroska: Are you American? If not, it's tyres, not tires. Get it right! We are Kiwis.

What a rant! It's Piroska being negative again and encouraging others to do the same.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 28-03-2021 at 08:15 AM.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Another one.

When traveling on a multi-lane road and you want to change lanes, you can either just change lanes without signaling (especially if you're driving a BMW), or turn your indicator on and move immediately, without looking to see whether it's safe to do so, because the indicator gives you the right to change lanes, irrespective of the safety of others.

/sarc

(Thought I'd better add the "/sarc" tag in case anyone was labouring under the misapprehension that I was being serious)

Here's my pet peeve ...

Picture an urban four lane arterial highway (2 lanes in each direction) e.g. Auckland's Ellerslie-Panmure Highway. The Greens haven't been let loose on this one ergo no bike lanes to reduce the four lanes down to 2, no need to: Auckland drivers drive to the middle lanes, leaving the outside lanes free. If one needs to join the traffic say turning right across traffic coming from the right and merge with traffic from the left, there's always a wait for a gap in the bumper to bumper traffic so one can merge.

Had the traffic from the left kept to their left lane, leaving the middle lane open to those wanting to turn right, there would not be a problem. But always there's a wait - sometimes into several minutes - waiting for a break in the traffic. Yes, I live in a side street off this arterial route, at times it can be frustrating as hell.

Last edited by WalOne; 28-03-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

lol...I love all the 'jokes' about driving in Auckland. I've done it 2-3 times and never had a problem - no idea what the big deal is. The signage is just brilliant.

Tauranga. Now that's a *****. I had no idea where I was going there.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    lol...I love all the 'jokes' about driving in Auckland. I've done it 2-3 times and never had a problem - no idea what the big deal is. The signage is just brilliant. Tauranga. Now that's a *****. I had no idea where I was going there.
    Trust me. I've been commuting in Auckland for a number of years on a motorcycle and the things I see while lane-splitting would blow your mind!!!

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)