Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Advice required - Windows 7 updating for Nod (&me)

Have Wind 7 SP1 64 bit installed not up to date (l know it's no longer supported by MS)
    with NOD 32 up to date.
    Use Chrome browser up to date (also old Int explorer installed not updated)
    Laptop 8GB Ram, disc space free 35.2GB

Yes I know some will say my fault should of updated but for various reasons I didn't .

Nod32 will very soon no longer protect me as Wind 7 not update.

They gave me 2 solutions thru their site (apart fm upgrading to Wind 10)

1) Verify u have installed SP1 with latest updates (at least KB 4474419 and KB 4490628)
    OR
    2) Click on their option of Windows updates available, Eset lists all the Critical, Important, and Recommended with an option to "RUN System update"

3) They also advise going thru Windows updates option via control panel Check for updates and then install

Questions
    Should I just do option 1) just the two updates OR
    If I do all updates should I do the Recommended ones too or just Critical and Important
    Should I just download all first, then just install slowly, i.e. Critical first

In these updates will I end up D/L Edge??

I had googled those 2 updates and at the time people had various problem
    Do I have to stop Eset after downloading to install any of them??

So what do people advise, much appreciated.
    Anybody see any problems I might incur
    NB: little Comp/tech knowledge just muddle along

Many thanks

Default Re: Advice required - Windows 7 updating for Nod (&me)

You most likely could still install windows 10 using your windows 7 key, was still working last I heard and even if it doesn't windows 10 works fine without activating it.

If you are determined to stay with windows 7 and use it online then you really should fully update it. Personally I would just keep running windows update repeatedly until it stops finding updates, but it's a long time since I dealt with windows 7 so my memory isn't reliable as to any issues.

It's totally possible to not update your system and have it keep running fine but it does increase your chances of being compromised or having issues with newer software etc.

Yes I think you will get edge, nothing forcing you to use it though.
    Last edited by dugimodo; 21-03-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks, how different is Win 10, not up to any big changes, or numerous prob, Win 7 for me has been pretty stable and uneventful.

Also read another thread on here I think (can't find it now) with a link to site (howto geeks) using Wind 7 SP1 MS Convenience Rollup
    So for me I would start at step 3 first installing April 2014 Servicing Stack update first for 64bits.
    Then I can. Sounds easier download Convenience Rollup (if links still work)
    If doesn't have to download Convenience from MS Update catalogue website.
    But need to use Internet explore (as it uses active X control) not Chrome,

Will I need to update my I/E browser (it's V9 )??

Then follow instruc " Install Add on for all Users on this Computer"
    Select 64 bit version (KB3125574) and select where to download it to and do it.
    Then later launch Windows update to install Any updates after May 16 2016, which there are a few
    presuming it will be a choice of Critical Important etc.

Anyone used it? Sounds easier or quicker for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ktee View Post
    Thanks, how different is Win 10, not up to any big changes, or numerous prob, Win 7 for me has been pretty stable and uneventful.
    I would not recommend sticking with an unsupported OS. Windows 10 really isn't all that different to Windows 7 anyway so you'll be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by ktee View Post
    Will I need to update my I/E browser (it's V9 )??
    Please stop using Internet Explorer entirely, especially version 9 (the last version is 11) At the very least I'd suggest switching to Edge, as Internet Explorer is no longer updated and does have numerous issues with modern websites.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    I would not recommend sticking with an unsupported OS. Windows 10 really isn't all that different to Windows 7 anyway so you'll be fine Please stop using Internet Explorer entirely, especially version 9 (the last version is 11) At the very least I'd suggest switching to Edge, as Internet Explorer is no longer updated and does have numerous issues with modern websites.
    Thks I don't use I/E 9 Its just still on Comp I use updated Chrome,
    It was if other site doesn't download Convenience have to download from MS Update catalogue website.
    But for that you needed to use Internet explorer (as it uses active X control) not Chrome,or any other browser
    (I seem to mucked up wording in my other post)

Someone else has 10 and every time I go to help them I cant seem to find anything to help them, so thought I'd stick to 7

Old guy

Bite the bullet and install Win 10 or if you really feel adventurous Linux. Windows 10 works perfectly fine for most people and although there is a learning curve it is well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    I would not recommend sticking with an unsupported OS.
    Why do people believe MS updates protect you? In all the decades since, they haven't. It's a con.
    On and on it goes..............what does, mostly, is common sense.

Most people get problems from clicking on stuff, opening stuff, downloading stuff.
    Very rarely is it true hacking.
    Ex-pctek

I use to do all the updates with versions before Wind 7, I would be phoning for tech quite a lot.
    Use to feel guilty as thought I should know how to do certain basic things but I didn't. I would try sometimes googling and fixes would work other times not.
    Some updates would stop other old progs working and so many other probs that fixing was just out of my understanding.
    When got 7 stopped updates and meant to go thru new ones slowly to see what they were about in case I didn't need them, then install. Alas there was so many and of course didn't understand, so none got done.
    Meanwhile had 6 happy years no updates with no problems basically by ensuring my Eset/Nod was up to date.
    But alas this will come to an end as Nod says need to update or won't be protected.

Have 2 lap tops in same situation.. happy laptops happy user!!They are all I need
    But one I will have to try updating Wind 7 as I looked at requirement for win 10 and it says I need 32GB free of disc space, I've only got 17GB
    Think I need several more coffee while I think about it all

Windows10 is often slower on old PC's . Win10 really needs a fast hard drive.
    And Win10 will download a huuuuuge (2Gb+) update every year , so you need a god internet connection.
    If you only have 17Gb free , you will need to free up alot of space before installing win10.

As above, stop using InternetExplorer . Install Chrome or Firefox instead.
    I still have Win7 on my home PC. No big deal if you're carefull & use Chrome or FF .

Thks I dont use I/E, I use Chrome. It was only if I use the links for Convenience Rollup to update Wind 7 and it doesnt work then have to go thru something else and for that you need to download using I/e wont work thru another browser.