Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Advice required - Windows 7 updating for Nod (&me)

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Why do people believe MS updates protect you? In all the decades since, they haven't. It's a con.
    This is poor advice.

Of course updates protect you, otherwise patches for zero-day exploits wouldn't be a thing.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    This is poor advice.

Of course updates protect you, otherwise patches for zero-day exploits wouldn't be a thing.
    How many HOME PC's were infected because it wasnt being updated ?
    I'd bet unpatched home routers are a bigger issue .

Yes patching PC's closes possible holes that hackers could use , but most malware on home PC's comes from users with unpatched attitude
    click that email link, open that dodgy attachment, go to that dodgy website

Continued to google and found quite a few mentions of using "Simplex" down load to update

" Simplix is a single file (880MB) that contain all updates since Win 7 released up to date. It has all security and non security updates without the trash (telemetry and tracking"

Some forums I looked at said for Simplex,

• Key /Reboot to automatically restart if it is needed.
    • Key /S for a fully silent install with no windows and messages. The case is significant.
    • Key /Silent for passive installation - you can see the progress, but the installation is fully automatic.
    etc some more.

But my basic question is, what does that mean, do I press the fwd slash key and then type in Reboot??
    Of course I may never get that far!!

It pays to be suspicious with things like "Simplex"
    Do you really need to use it (no)
    You really dont know whats in there, whats missing, what else it may do to the PC.
    Dont trust a bunch of fan boys or tinfoil hatters who give it the thumbs up. Who has really analysed it properly .
    (it may be 100% OK, but how would you know)

why not download updates from MS instead . At least superceded & buggy updates are fixed or removed by MS

I have run Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on my Dell Vostro from 2009 until now. In that time I have never done an automatic update, and never had a problem which wasn't of my own doing. I have replaced Microsoft security with Total Security (Chinese), and use a Chrome browser. I wouldn't recommend W7 for any security sensitive work, but for the average domestic computer it is fine. I believe that if its working well leave it alone. If it does the job, use it. I use Linux most of the time now, but still need Windows for my favorite software.

Okay fallen at Start!! (Using Chrome Browser.) and Microsoft Inst fm web pg
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...update-catalog

Microsoft Update Catalog, typed in first update KB4490628
    "https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4490628"
    All okay, gave a choice off downloads for W7 that KB. Click the download for 64bit (not embedded)
    Popup box up with the link came up
    Then get stuck at Step3 No 2, the pop up box gave No option for "Save" or "Save target as"

"Step 3: Download updates
    To download updates from the Windows Update Catalog, follow these steps:
    1. Click the Download button under Search box.
    2. Click the updates link on the pop-up page and Save to the default path, or right-click the link and select Save target as to the specified path. You can either type the full path of the folder, or you can click Browse to locate the folder.
    3. Close the Download and the Windows Update Catalog Window.
    4. Find the location that you specified in step 3b."

If I left clicked link nothing, left doubled click link a little box
    says catalog.update Download multiple files, "Allow or Block"

I did "Allow" And still no Save choice
    couldn't see anything happening (looked at task Manger Processes & Network)
    Nothing happening, nothing in downloads. It's been that for 4hrs its only 9MB

If I right clicked get " open link in new tab, or save link as
    So okay, but where do I save it to "Downloads" or " Desktop"??

Would prefer to find the Save option where " Save to the default path"
    Looked up Google says " Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download", do I "Save Link As" under that? it currently only has 3 old files under it.

"The temporary update files are stored at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and that folder can be renamed and deleted to prompt Windows to recreate a folder. Note that any uninstalled updates that were previously downloaded will need to be downloaded again before they can be installed"

To make it short can't find options to "Save" download Or Don't know where to save to if I use "Save As" instead
    Any help appreciated

NB saved 2 screen print pic to put in but tried http://imagef1.net.nz cant workout how to do that either!!
    Now Ive seen posting..Sorry too long!!
    Last edited by ktee; 27-03-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Exhausted!! Browser Problem perhaps (Only 9 min job!!!)
    Tried outdated I/E browser on other comp to see if could get in to MS catalogue.. no couldn't connect.

Just tried Comp I'm actually trying to do updates on yes I/E will get up MS catalogue.
    Put KB's in, click on link YES.. SAVE option all others options come up.

Download, I can pick option to watch it, first one quick, asks if I want to install yes.
    ( I decided to reboot before next large one)

Next one KB 4474419, downloaded installed with a reboot in about 5 mins. Zero problem

Only think I can think of that I did read other Browsers a while ago where having problems using Microsoft catalogue update and Windows later fixed it and Chrome etc could now use it.
    So I'm thinking that update.fix.. was probably one of them I never downloaded.

Eset now says You are protected.. No warnings or Security Alet

Will look at other comp tomorrow.
    Thanks all
    Last edited by ktee; 27-03-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I have run Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 on my Dell Vostro from 2009 until now. In that time I have never done an automatic update, and never had a problem which wasn't of my own doing. I have replaced Microsoft security with Total Security (Chinese), and use a Chrome browser. I wouldn't recommend W7 for any security sensitive work, but for the average domestic computer it is fine. I believe that if its working well leave it alone. If it does the job, use it. I use Linux most of the time now, but still need Windows for my favourite software.
    That's all fine, but as general advice for people of unknown skill levels I wouldn't recommend it. Just because it works ok for you doesn't make it the best general practice. I remember grandad saying he'd never worn a seatbelt in his life and it'd never been a problem, so by that logic nobody needs to wear a seatbelt yes?
    Generally speaking keeping your OS up to date and having some form of malware protection is the best practice for most people. Nothing wrong with avoiding updates and using an older OS as such but you do so at your own risk. I personally take quite a few security risks with my own PC's because I'm not worried about losing everything on them and starting over.

There is however some sense in delaying updates for a while especially the larger ones as you sometimes avoid major bugs by letting everyone else be the guinea pigs.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070