Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default What have you done with your old film prints and negatives?

Those of you who know what is film before we had digital. What have you done with the 6x4 prints or maybe other sizes they had in the past and the film negatives? I have an interest in photography but it only developed when digital cameras were available, and then I went back and learnt more about film photography. So even if you have an interest in photography particularly with the casual images and before you got into the hobby. What happened to those prints and negatives?

I understand with film cameras. Some were thrown away, some taken to Cash Converters or sold online or at a garage sale, some might had been given away to schools. What happened to yours?

Cheers.

Default Re: What have you done with your old film prints and negatives?

I never kept negatives. I guess they were like backups & should be kept?

I actually went hunting for my photos last month. I only found a few , the ones I wanted have disappeared.
    So , now I have 5 photos :-(

Film cameras : sold the SLR camera's binned the others.
    All the SLR lenses had slight mold issues : lesson learnt, put stuff like that in a room thats got a dehumidifier allways on in winter.

Scanned them all to several ext HDD's. I made sure I got a scanner that you could load several pictures on but would save them as individual files

I have a couple of thousand + or -- negs, more black &white than colour in storage sleeves. Plus maybe 1000 slides (all media digitized a few years back) haven't done the medium format ones though.

Never look at any of them.

Love the digital era and wishfully thinking that I had a DSLR when doing part time photography for money in the 80s and 90s. . They are so much easier to use and can check instantly for results that all was OK

I had quite a collection of old cameras, the prime one was a VPK Kodak complete with little florin the back and a stylus to write on the film. Gave them all to the local Camera House shop and they joined the managers collection on display for some years. Don't know what happened to them when they folded after the digital era started.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 19-03-2021 at 04:19 PM.

I've got boxes of them, including my Mothers & Fathers.

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases I have no idea who the photo is off, or where the scene is.

A couple of years ago, a long lost cousin, whom I had never met, came to visit and wanted to know all things that I had no idea about.

So, I pulled out a shoe box of photos for her to look through and see if she could throw any light on anything.

Next thing she bursts into tears. She found one of herself and her bridesmaid, (who had died a long time ago), and all her wedding photos had been lost.

Well, that was one less only 9999 to go.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I have a chest with lots of boxes of slides from my 4 years in Europe ,Africa and Asia . I used to have a Slide Projector -lent it and it was lost. i did buy one of those mini slide viewers but too much hassle.

I keep telling myself "one of these days" I 'll tidy them up a bit. Ks there a way to convert slides so as to be able to create a slideshow on a PC?

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    I have a chest with lots of boxes of slides from my 4 years in Europe ,Africa and Asia . I used to have a Slide Projector -lent it and it was lost. i did buy one of those mini slide viewers but too much hassle.

I keep telling myself "one of these days" I 'll tidy them up a bit. Ks there a way to convert slides so as to be able to create a slideshow on a PC?
    With a scanner be it a film scanner feature even off a flatbed or a cheaper flatbed scanner for prints.

Produce a slide show video file and even add music.

My dad was a photographer. As he said you can make copies from prints, real prints, even ancient ones. (And he did on occasion, I have some real old ones)
    As for negatives, I don't bother, he used to keep them.

I still have prints made of stuff I want to keep....only the not so bothered stuff stays digital.
    Ex-pctek

I don't feel any passion towards family photos.
    I have no kids to pass any history onto. Old photos from my parents hold pics of people I either never knew, or were so rarely met that I don't give a toss about them anyway. They're almost all long dead, and one day so will I be. My presence and my history will be irrelevant, and of no interest to anybody, and the photos seem a waste of space.

As for film cameras. I've binned them all, on the assumption that nobody would ever want the old tech. I doubt I'd be able to give them away.
    I still have an old B+W film enlarger, developing trays etc, if anyone would want them, but I suspect it'll be destined for the bin as well.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post

As for film cameras. I've binned them all, on the assumption that nobody would ever want the old tech. I doubt I'd be able to give them away.
    I still have an old B+W film enlarger, developing trays etc, if anyone would want them, but I suspect it'll be destined for the bin as well.
    You might be a bit surprised. It would never go back what the level it was but there is a bit of a resurgence with film photography. Some older buffs still use film now. A local lab said most of their customers are the ages under 30yrs old and yep some don't even know what is a film negative.

Even old 35mm film projectors can go for $50 or more. Enlargers $100+ depending what it is. The in demand cameras are the classical manual focus ones an Olympus OM or a Nikon FM or a similar Canon might go for $250 if in working condition. Fancy electronic autofocus film SLRs don't go for much thou unless it is a late model it might go for $200-300 unless it was a top model during when digital were available then more. Some items are even more than when they were new namely like, Contax T2 and Ricoh GR compact film cameras, even something like Yashica T4. The cream of the crop are Mamiya 6 and 7 medium format rangefinders, specific panorama cameras and the Makina 67's.