Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Re Member

Default Re: What have you done with your old film prints and negatives?

Still got my Canon A-1 and some film.And all my negatives from previous cameras.
    Found there's a shop in Havelock North that gets film developed so must haul it out and take some more shots.
    Got a fancy Panasonic digital camera that's meant to see me out. But the phone camera gets used the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You might be a bit surprised. .
    My brother sold all my fathers stuff. Unless it's high end it isn't worth much, he did have some cool stuff once but it belonged to his work.
    His was not junk but still, limited market for it.
    Ex-pctek

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    My brother sold all my fathers stuff. Unless it's high end it isn't worth much, he did have some cool stuff once but it belonged to his work.
    His was not junk but still, limited market for it.
    Yep if it's not fancy prob a limited market for it esp the cheap point and shoots. High end point and shoots get quite a lot actually. Entry level plastic family SLRs honestly prob $50-100 prob on TM or FB on a Photography group. Things like Olympus OM film SLRs prob $200+.

I had a look an trademe , still some interest in what was once good quality film SLR's .
    The SLR camera I had seems to still be desirable to a select few trademe buyers .

So, are they buying old film cameras because of nostalgia , just to add to collections, or to actually use them ?

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I had a look an trademe , still some interest in what was once good quality film SLR's .
    The SLR camera I had seems to still be desirable to a select few trademe buyers .

So, are they buying old film cameras because of nostalgia , just to add to collections, or to actually use them ?
    Not a large market. Film photography groups on FB and buy and sell groups. People do use them, some even make wet prints in the darkroom and make platinum prints which I haven't tried. After using various chemicals you put it outside for the UV exposure. Someone told me my young niece uses a 1990s point and shoot camera. Not the most accurate or sharpest photos but hey.

A very healthy exercise separating the wheat from the chaff of five decades of photography.
    The wheat got scanned from negatives when I could find them, prints when I couldn't and slides, slides and more slides.
    I've stored the originals that I scanned from and it took up a lot less space when the chaff had hit the bin.
    The digitised images, all at the highest resolution my professional scanner could make, are now backed up on three different external drives.
    High resolution images are essential to print them back when you want to give Aunt Murgatroid a copy of a picture of her intemperate youth. A 50Kb JPG just won't do.
    Ah too many years running a photo lab. It all bores me to tears now.