Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Laptop dead after today's Win10 update

I chose Update and Restart and when I came back to the laptop the screen was black (dead). So I then turned it off then on; then removed battery and back in and on, inserted Recovery CD = nothing, still a blank screen, no BIOS status on the screen, nothing.

Could it be a dead hard drive? The laptop is around 7 years old, a Toshiba Satellite. Never had problems when doing multiple upgrades from Win 7.

I could take it to a local computer repair shop but wonder if they will say it just looking at it will be $100 no matter what is wrong.

Or do I toss it and buy a new laptop? FWIW it is my wife's laptop.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Older by the minute

Default Re: Laptop dead after today's Win10 update

Try - remove the battery and plug the laptop into the mains and see if it boots. Do you have a bootable DVD of a linux OS? You could try to boot with that if there is a problem with Windows. Maybe on old Windows OS say 7 or 8 that is bootable.

VoidMaster

Check lead from mains to power supply box and see that it is plugged into laptop correctly and that power is on. Lights should be on to show charging on laptop.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Try - remove the battery and plug the laptop into the mains and see if it boots. Do you have a bootable DVD of a linux OS? You could try to boot with that if there is a problem with Windows. Maybe on old Windows OS say 7 or 8 that is bootable.
    I did as you suggested but still a dead screen; also tried booting just with battery with no mains connected. Will search for an old Win DVD but it seems to me that since there is no BIOS text at startup it may be a dead motherboard or screen - it is weird though that a simple Win10 update would cause this so maybe just a random correlation.

~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer View Post
    I did as you suggested but still a dead screen;.
    do ANY LED's or lights come on ?

7 years old , youve have a good run. Its probably a hardware fault.
    Either dead display, dead motherboard or dead power pack . You should get something initially onscreen when started (usually).
    Do you have an external monitor to connect to it ?

Try
    holding the power button on for 5-10 seconds (a hard reset), release, wait then press power as usual
    put your ear up against it & listen for any fan noises , hissing or whining noises,any clicking noises
    put your ear up the the power pack & see if thats making any strange noises

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Check lead from mains to power supply box and see that it is plugged into laptop correctly and that power is on. Lights should be on to show charging on laptop.
    All looks good. I measured the voltage from the mains power supply and it is Ok (19 vdc). The front LEDs = 'fully charged'.

~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    do ANY LED's or lights come on ?

7 years old , youve have a good run. Its probably a hardware fault.
    Either dead display, dead motherboard or dead power pack . You should get something initially onscreen when started (usually).
    Do you have an external monitor to connect to it ?

Try
    holding the power button on for 5-10 seconds (a hard reset), release, wait then press power as usual
    put your ear up against it & listen for any fan noises , hissing or whining noises,any clicking noises
    put your ear up the the power pack & see if thats making any strange noises
    Front power / battery LEDs are OK.

Holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds did not work - I did this while powering off and then again powering on.

Power pack is OK - I measured the voltage with a multimeter (the power pack is less than a year old.

A Google search shows that the laptop was manufactured in 2010, so it is 11 years old - wow time flies, Maybe it was old stock when we bought it but still it would be at least 9 years old.

Yes I can hear fan noises, maybe the hard drive - the sound when turning on and then running is normal.

I suspect it is a hardware failure, mobo perhaps. There is an HDMI port on the side so I will see if I can plug in a monitor from one of my two desktops.

~ Bertrand Russell

I tried a desktop monitor plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop and still nothing so it does look like a hardware failure in the laptop (made in 2010).

Looks like it is time to buy a new laptop - it is for my wife and she does not care about specs but I will get one with either 8 or 16 Gb RAM. I will take her to Noel Leemings or Warehouse Stationary so she can decide on the size, then will see what is available online if there are better deals. The old dead laptop has a 15.6 in screen so she may go for a smaller size.

Is ASUS still a good brand for laptops? How about Dell? Lenova? Personally I do not care for HP.

~ Bertrand Russell

VoidMaster

Since you have led's and normal sounds basically laptop is powered up but no display on screen, try HDMI output as you say, maybe cold cathode tube to light screen has died, check the screen whilst running by seeing if you can see display looking at the screen and shining a flashlight or incandescent light at angles onto the laptop screen.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Since you have led's and normal sounds basically laptop is powered up but no display on screen, try HDMI output as you say, maybe cold cathode tube to light screen has died, check the screen whilst running by seeing if you can see display looking at the screen and shining a flashlight or incandescent light at angles onto the laptop screen.
    As we posted at the exact same time, from my post: I tried a desktop monitor plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop and still nothing so it does look like a hardware failure in the laptop (made in 2010).

I put the laptop in a dark area and used a torch as suggest but nothing seen, the screen is dead.

From my previous post: Looks like it is time to buy a new laptop - it is for my wife and she does not care about specs but I will get one with either 8 or 16 Gb RAM. I will take her to Noel Leemings or Warehouse Stationary so she can decide on the size, then will see what is available online if there are better deals. The old dead laptop has a 15.6 in screen so she may go for a smaller size.

Is ASUS still a good brand for laptops? How about Dell? Lenova? Personally I do not care for HP.

~ Bertrand Russell