Thread: CCLEANER issues

Senior

Default CCLEANER issues

I usually run CCleaner a couple of times a week and the Health Check option used to find about 300 trackers. Now it finds thousands. I reinstalled it and it reverted to finding the usual 300 but now it is back to finding thousands again even after using my PC for barely half an hour. The Custom Clean shows 269,000KB internet cache. Have I inadvertently changed the settings?

Default Re: CCLEANER issues

I bet the 'tracking ' files are harmless cookies. Just old fashioned scare tactics .
    CCleaner isnt really needed . Especially on Win10.
    snake oil .

I would recommend you just uninstall it, for a few reasons.
    Just leave Windows to do its thing. My PC's & the PCs I manage run 100% Ok without ever needing CCleaner .
    Last edited by 1101; 05-03-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Senior

Thanks 1101. I had read the info in your link earlier and hadn't found it helpful. I made changes under Privacy but they reverted back. Anyway I've uninstalled it for now. I've lost patience with CCleaner, it worked just fine for me for years and now doesn't. I have REVO and it has options I think for clearing out junk.

Ccleaner works perfectly fine. It clears out a LOT more junk than the inbuilt Disk Cleanup AND speeds up any scans. Had several cases where people have been using the inbuilt Windows Defender, and end up with "popups & redirects" sitting in the Temp internet files. The inbuilt cleanup doesn't remove all temp internet files, yet running ccleaner DOES clean out 100"s of MB's.

About the only thing you have to be AWAKE to, I tell people this time and time again - some still dont listen , if you have to download and install (the latest versions auto update) LOOK at what you are clicking, ALWAYS select Customize as the 2nd window after that try's to install some sort of Crap like a VPN, cCleaner browser , or Avast (if using Std Windows AV) The current offering is a pop up windw offering to upgrade to a paid version, simply click "No Thankyou" and its gone.

Sadly ( or good for techs) Some people want software to do EVERYTHING for them, call it lazy or just the way things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Ccleaner works perfectly fine. It clears out a LOT more junk than the inbuilt Disk Cleanup

, I tell people this time and time again - some still dont listen , if you have to download and install (the latest versions auto update) LOOK at what you are clicking, ALWAYS select Customize as the 2nd window after that try's to install some sort of Crap like a VPN, cCleaner browser , or Avast (if using Std Windows AV) The current offering is a pop up windw offering to upgrade to a paid version, simply click "No Thankyou" and its gone.
    +1

That was on my list of rules I used to give new users....or new customers.
    Always, for any software you install.

And yes, tracking cookies or not, its a great program. They err on the side of caution, it won't get every single piece of bloat but for sure use it.
    Ex-pctek

Senior

thanks wainui. Goodness I feel like I've had a telling off. No problem, I can take it lol. (I understand not all directed at me). Yep, I'm 'awake' to being careful about what I click, I'm not 'lazy', don't auto update and do 'listen' to your advice. I've used CCleaner way back to when it was CrapCleaner. The Health Check option suddenly went from averaging 300+ to 60,000+ trackers so naturally I wanted to understand why. Still none the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by bellbird View Post
    thanks wainui. Goodness I feel like I've had a telling off. No problem, I can take it lol. .
    Sorry wasn't meant to come across like that. Not telling anyone off. Lots of people NEVER clean out the crap in their computers, its always been the same, when ever you go onto the internet basically the page downloads to your computer. So unless you have a clean out every so often the computer gets full of Crap, can slow down and heaven knows what sort of "Extra's" are sitting in the temp internet files.

Had one a few months back, A friend in Aussie asked for help, she said shes had a tech guy look at it at their place and he couldn't find the infection. (popups every few seconds getting redirected), he said the only cure is to reinstall -------She said Narrrr, I had a look via remote control, it looked clean, BUT when running Ccleaner saw the exe being removed from temp internet files, showed her in the logs and what ya know -- no more popups -- She was going to have a "Talk" to the guy and give him what for and get her money back as he was useless