Thread: Gmail help

Default Gmail help

SWMBO uses Gmail and has a query that I can't answer. (I use Thunderbird). When using 'Contacts' and 'Compose' it brings up a lot of addresses that are unknown.

I assume that someone has sent her an email with all their Contacts.? How do you delete these unknown contacts when using Compose.?

Default Re: Gmail help

Try this --Open gmail - Top Right where the 9 dots are, click that - click contacts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contacts.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	10815

All the contacts will show, look for any that are incomplete or "not right" Select them, then look for 3 vertical dots ( they will be there - more actions) Click Delete.

In settings:

Create contacts for auto-complete:
    When I send a message to a new person, add them to Other Contacts so that I can auto-complete to them next time

or

I'll add contacts myself
    Ex-pctek

Have the same problem with Outlook and Hotmail and wifey!!.

Can't find an obsolete email address she has in Hotmail/Outlook list of contacts.

We know Clear.net has been out of action for years and years, so where the h!ll does this email pop-up from.

Doesn't use Outlook the other app.

Your help would be a help here, thanks.

lurking

ps. she does get jokes which I often post on here. Thank goodness it's only occasionally, lol.

lurks.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    In settings:

Create contacts for auto-complete:
    When I send a message to a new person, add them to Other Contacts so that I can auto-complete to them next time

or

I'll add contacts myself
    Perhaps I am not explaining the problem very well.
    If we hit "Compose" and then the letter "a" to bring up some family members it also brings up several addresses that are not known.
    How can we delete the unknown addresses.? These unknown addresses are NOT in Contacts.

What happens if you open the contacts page and up top in search type in Unknown ?? If they show then select and delete, but check 1st as some may be ones you want to keep, if so then edit to fix.

The Unknown will be there, just may be hidden. Just a thought as well, if your SWMBO has a Smart Phone using the Same account they could be syncing from that - Thus not importing correctly ( see below)

Since its mentioned its the online (thats how it written) what happens is when contacts are imported from other locations the fields don't populate correctly and you end up with Unknown entries.

Example if you import from Thunderbird or Live mail to EMClient you HAVE to remap the fields during importing other wise every person will be unknown. Similar can happen if you have a program on the computer and import directly into Gmail on line.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 03-03-2021 at 06:57 AM.

Its called 'suggested' or 'autocomplete' contacts . Other email programs also have this function .

Assuming gmail webmail
    You delete them from the 'other contacts'
    https://contacts.google.com/other?hl=en

Thanks for all your help. Deleting them from 'other contacts' solved the problem. SWMBO didn't know this existed, and I certainly didn't either, as I knew nothing about gmail.

I am curious to know how these unknown addresses get recorded. I understand that they are automatically added if you have forgotten to add the addressee to an email sent, but these are people who are unknown to us.