Default Fresh Windows 7 install

I have had to ditch the latest Windows 10 install as the poor old laptop was doing an impression of crossing Mangare harbour at low tide. Sadly Windows 7 is no longer supported...but is there anywhere I get get the appropriate updates to make it safe and functional? Thanks in advance. :-)
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Default Re: Fresh Windows 7 install

Unless you have a specific need for Windows apps running on that machine, can I suggest that you try some flavour of Linux instead? You can choose how responsive you want the machine to be by selecting a "light enough" variant. I put Kubuntu 20.04 (not light!) on my old (originally Vista-powered) Core 2 Duo P8400 laptop with 4G of RAM & it's slow, but usable, for simple browsing/Youtube stuff, plus I'm sure could run LibreOffice if I had a need to.
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

its do-able, just a lot of mucking about. https://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how...nience-rollup/

You can download a W7 ISO thats got a lot more upto date options already installed ( till 2018) , But the download is just over 5GB so wont fit on a std DVD.

Just thinking, The OS may not be the problem.

I have a old Laptop I was given as the people said it was to slow, has a Celeron, (cant get much lower except atom) with 4GB memory and a SSD. The original had a std mechanical drive with W7, and it was slow as.

With the cheap, smallish (120GB) SSD and a new install of W10, while its not lightning fast its still very usable for light work. So basically even putting in W7 or even a low usage Linux may make no difference if the HDD is beyond its working use by date.

Don't panic. Use the latest SP and you'll be fine.
    I never patched any version of Windows I ever had and never had any issues.

Common sense and a good 3rd party AV like NOD32 will keep you safe.
    Ex-pctek

You may have other issues if its that slow. Possibly the HD is getting slow (seems to be a more common issue with Win10)

The other possibility is the 3Gb 'updates' that MS keep forcing through every year.
    One of those build updates can slow things down to a crawl on some systems. Especially if it keeps failing install & retrying .

Or go to a light version of linux if it cant cope with Win10.

Plenty of cheap i3 or i5 notebooks on trademe. I bought an i5 laptop for $120 , then added a used SSD .