Thread: Start Screen

Default Start Screen

After the last couple of W10 updates, my start screen has gone all pallid and pale and my shortcuts and icons are all mostly white. Has anyone else found this, and does anyone have a trick to restore my previous bright colours?

VoidMaster

Default Re: Start Screen

Is it only the start screen, are other windows normal once you start to use the computer?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Is it only the start screen, are other windows normal once you start to use the computer?
    All other screens seem to be as normal zqwerty.

VoidMaster

Hmmmmm interesting problem, I'm on Win7 at the moment so can't check start screen options for 10.

By start screen do you mean the screen where one signs in? or the screen that is the one with the coloured squares etc on it that was nor received with gladness when it was first offered for those with touch screens.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 22-02-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

If its only the Start Screen, I don't know whose Idea it was to Blur it ( been like that for a while now) -- Guess someone thought it had a use, but you need to turn off the Transparency effects.

To disable it -- Click Start - Click The Cog (settings) Personalization - Colours - turn off Transparency effects. Next reboot the screen will be non blurry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blur.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	10808

Now done that Wainui. It hasn't made a huge difference except that my background is now just a white blank. Maybe it will grow on me.

Is the "start Screen" you mentioned the Logging where you type in a password or the actual Desktop.

The Start Screen is different to desktop. Generally you can have a start Screen but thats normally a Touch and setup as such, ( similar to the way the default Windows 8 Was)

As on an article from 2015
    Your device will determine whether the Start menu or Start screen is the default option in the new version of Windows. On a PC, the Start menu will be turned on by default when you log into Windows 10. On a pure touch-screen device, such as a tablet, the Start screen will be the default.
    If its the Desktop - look down bottom Right - Notifications Icon, make sure Tablet mode is not selected.

It is the desktop I guess, after my sign on screen. I use my computer in tablet mode as I find it easier to locate things.

Right would have helped if that info was given at the beginning. Just remember no one can see your computer apart from you.

Generally its driver related, so you may have to uninstall the graphic Drivers and install fresh ones.

Before that though try changing the scaling / sizing you may find the graphics cant read then correctly. To do that, go into the Settings, System / Display under Scale and Layout,change the various options to make bigger /smaller.

I vaguely remember long ago someone had the settings to large and tiles went ape
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-02-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Right would have helped if that info was given at the beginning. Just remember no one can see your computer apart from you.

Generally its driver related, so you may have to uninstall the graphic Drivers and install fresh ones.

Before that though try changing the scaling / sizing you may find the graphics cant read then correctly. To do that, go into the Settings, System / Display under Scale and Layout,change the various options to make bigger /smaller.

I vaguely remember long ago someone had the settings to large and tiles went ape
    Sorry about that Chief. I will give it a go.