Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vodafone's new Broadband system

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post

wainui you mentioned that you were with Vodafone, in the past!!!, your explanation would be greatly received.

lurking and BH.
    wtf is this UltraFast HFC, (Hibrid Fibre Coaxial) ?? It's Vodafones own connections / cables.

It started off years ago as Vodafone Cable (the thick lines you see on lamp posts) It then renamed to Vodafone Fibre X ( and Fibre X MAX) they got into a bit of trouble calling it that as some people complained they thought it was Fibre - So they now call it UltraFast HFC.

When we first got Fibre past our place a few months later when they had to change one of our very old decoders the tech from Chorus (in discussion) said DONT change to Fibre unless you are forced to, its no where as good, reliable (or fast) as Vodafones own Cable.

Several weeks back we changed from our old plan to a newer and cheaper plan, we dumped the old decoders as one was playing up and I could then remove the old Phone jacks scattered around the place including two larger ones in the hall (renovating the house).

Now the phones work over the internet (main phones connected to the Router) We have had the new setup for just over a month now, the TV(s) we have two are over internet, same with phones, unlimited data, 1st month on new plan ( this is low compared to some months) 13 Jan 2021 - 12 Feb 2021 -- 890.97 GB

Only had one outage which lasted approx. 5 minutes.

Average speed is between 700 - 900 Mbps Faster if using a downloader. Heavy use it slows to about 450 Mbps, like now - We have two tv's going, Sons gaming, I'm downloading's some programs from Shhhhh not telling AND Two computers inside auto backing up to a Server, so the Routers taking a hammering.

When we changed over they were actually to damn fast LOL the New router arrived and on the same day they cut the original phones, I could call out but that was it, Called them and Put on my Business voice and "Insisted" I talk to someone who had some authority (got to know what and how to say as in what I do etc ) and got hold of a guy who was the team leader of level 1 help whom I thought was in NZ but turned out to be in the Philippines, he gave me his cell number and Email, said any questions can contact him, there were a couple of minor hiccups which I emailed about, he called me within 5 minutes and sorted it on the spot.

NOT all Fibre is the same, most have various plans, the lower the price the lower the speed and some have data limits. One thing with Fibre, Every company uses the same lines, so if you have your street with Fibre, Spark, Vodafone, Orcon everyone use the same fibre cable. Hence the opening comment -- "It's Vodafones own connections / cables."
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-02-2021 at 07:48 PM.

One thing to mention, both Vodafones own cable and fibre can go faster than 1Gbps, The cables can easily able supply more, BUT the problem is end user equipment, the average household devices wouldn't be able to handle it to its full advantage.

The thing with vodafone, you can get Sky TV as well included in your package, no one else offers it, you would need Sky separately unless you use something else like Netflix etc.

Thanks wai, only three places have this HFC, Wellington, Christchurch and Kapiti, (of all places, lol).

They are sending out their new modem and also that TV box unit, sh!te we cant keep up with the programs now, rofl.

lurking and BH.

The newer TV box is a LOT smaller than the old decoders. our Cabinet that the TV, media Center PC and Vodafone TV sits on, the Vodafone device looks out of place, big cavity small device LOL. ( must clean the dust out at some stage -- Awhh thats a one day job) LOL

When the guys from Chorus arrived the 1st thing I said was you can keep those useless wireless extenders. The guy looked at me strange, then he saw the Ethernet port and switch beside the a Cabinet - Goes back to the Router ?? - YEP -- Great, easy setup While he was removing the old equipment I plugged in the Power, HDMI and Ethernet ( done plenty of these myself) he called back to base told them to activate the setup - and away both TV's went.

With the old system we used to get quite a bit of pixelization every so often - now crystal clear 100%

Vodafone used to send out the new TV boxes to customers and they had to set them up (or I'd get calles to go set them up as many people dont have a clue what to do and are not keen to try), but ever since vodafone was sold a short while back, the new owners are slowly changing how they do things, NOW they set it all up and make sure everything is working before leaving, including phones. In my case though I had already sorted the phones as per previous post.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-02-2021 at 08:21 AM.

wai, 70 years ago, this would have been a piece of cake, rofl, mind you back then things were mechanical, accounting machines, calculators', telephones, etc. Only the suppliers' were able to touch things'. (just like the unions in those days and which you had to, had to join, regardless.

Back in the early 1970's, H.O. threw a IBM pc onto my desk and I had to write the programs for it, as the branch accountant I enjoyed that as well as all the other duties. Three of my staff were at the time willing to have a go, the other 4 thought they might break the thing.

The software was Lotus Symphony bundle of programs.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Thanks wai, only three places have this HFC, Wellington, Christchurch and Kapiti, (of all places, lol).

They are sending out their new modem and also that TV box unit, sh!te we cant keep up with the programs now, rofl.

lurking and BH.
    Kapiti was where Saturn TV and phone services first started before the moved to Wellington and later Christchurch.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Is that where the cable came ashore from Aus.?.