Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mouse Wheel and Keyboard problems.

My computer developed a problem or two. Optical Mouse, use the wheel and it enlarges or shrinks the desktop icons or open web page. Click to open a new web page and nothing shows into which to type to do a search. Keep clicking and have a New Tab showing at top of Window for every click. I have to click the New Tab to get the Edge Search screen.
    Microsoft USB Keyboard wouldn't type. Click to open Notepad and get little window saying 'Go to line' #. I couldn't take/save screenshots using snipping tool because I couldn't type a name for the file to be saved and could only save one file named 'Capture'. I did two Capture saves by creating a New Folder and saving the 2nd capture to that. They are of the Small and Enlarged Desktop Icons.
    I had the same thing happen 2 week ago. System restore didn't fix anything. I changed keyboard to an old DELL PS2 and could type. Changed to a Compaq USB Keyboard and that worked. After restarts every change.
    Not this time, but I am able to use the PS2 Keyboard and the mouse has come right. I prefer to use the MS Keyboard because its keys are very low height and it has Volume +/- and Mute keys.
    How did this come about today at 11am? Well I was going to town to and wanted to contact a friend in Uruguay at about 2pm to wish goodnight. I have to save pics of things we use and I had a 32GB USB Flash Drive here. It had PC Unlocker loaded to it. I created a desktop folder and copied/pasted the PC Unlocker files etc. to it. Formatted the USB stick (FAT32) and then the proverbial hit the fan.
    Mouse wheel going Big/very small icons/web pages/pics etc., MS KBrd not working. Couldn't save anything to the flash drive and I went to the Library to attempt to contact friend from their computers and to post about these issues I was having. I couldn't get into the Library (Covid).
    So I came home, did a System Restore back to the 10th Feb, MS Kbrd no work, the Compaq Kbrd would only type two letters, connected the PS2 and can type. Mouse is as it should be.
    Any ideas what I can do to eliminate the problems?

Just to mention and this is off-topic: When my yearly subscription for BitDefender Total Security 2020 expired about 6 week ago I couldn't get the Bitdefender Free AV to install (I had fully removed the 2020 version) so I started to use Kaspersky Free AV. That was good until I noticed it was throwing up a lot of Threats, one of which was MediaCreationTool, it classified it as a Hacktool and deleted it. There were several other files and pics it deleted without asking. So I got shot of it, tried Bitdefender Free AV again and it installed.
    That's off topic.... just thought I'd mention the MediaCreationTool being deemed a Hacktool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	10801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	10800
    Last edited by kiotimak; 16-02-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Default Re: Mouse Wheel and Keyboard problems.

Working backwards --- The AV's may actually be telling you something -- you may have infections, which in turn could be causing problems with the KB and Mouse.

1st -- Dont muck about with various different AV's, they will clash and cause all sorts of problems. Seen it hundreds of times people try to be cheap instead of staying with one good AV, then end up in greif.

You can try running the online Nod32 Scan https://www.eset.com/int/home/online-scanner/

BUT try this -- Download EEK https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergencykit/ Run it in deep scan see what it discovers, it may take several hours but report back once its done.

No point in fighting bugs that may be causing problems.

wainuitech
    Hi and thanks. Yeah could be bugs in the system somewhere. I posted in December '20 about my Bitdefender renewal subscription and asked for advice about the free version and Kaspersky. I prefer BitDefender and had it figured out. I should have grabbed their One time only offer of a year subscription for 60% discount when I went to uninstall it, but I didn't. I will get Bitdefender Total Security 2021 and do away with Freebies. I didn't have two different AV's installed and running at the same time.
    I do have a Macrium Full Image I made on the 9th, but, that could have bugs. I deleted all other mrimg's I had when I installed this new W10 I use now. I was having many issues from using the images as you may remember I posted about them so I decided to get shot of the lot and start New fresh install W10 20H2 etc. That was in early Dec when I had Bitdefender Total Security 2020. Be nice if I could scan the backup in the emisoft emergency kit to see if its buggerised.
    I have DL'd Emisoft emergency kit and am going to set it to work when I finish my reply.
    Oh, another thing that rankled me was the fact that when I went to install Bluestacks Emulator for PC it wouldn't instal. Reason was Hyper-V prevented its install. So I had to go into UEFI and disable Hyper-V. Now that was a annoying because I had installed Macrium Reflect 7 Free version with viBoot enabled. But that's off-topic.
    I am not too keen to use the Eset Nod32 online scanner. I had issues with Nod32 and Eset IS and couldn't really get a grip of the program to use it properly. But, I may give it a look-in after the Emisoft app has completed.
    I will post back the results when task completed.
    Cheers.

ps: I just tried to open MWBytes and it refuses.... Window opens stating "Cannot connect to the service" .... I recall getting that same response a couple weeks back when I wanted to use it ( when I had Kaspersky free AV)
    hahahahahhahah just checked and its not installed! I or 'something' has uninstalled it and its left its desktop shortcut and the entry in the Start Menu hmmmmm somethings a myth
    ciao for a few hours
    Last edited by kiotimak; 16-02-2021 at 09:18 PM.

wainuitech
    Scan result... I only scanned the C Drive. Took 30 mins.

Name:	EEK RESULT SCAN C DRIVE.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	10802

MBAM Premium (trial) scan. Clean result. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBAM SCAN.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	10803

I didn't use the Nod32 online scan because it removes any 'infections' found without quarantining them. I like to be able to see what has been found and given a choice of actions to perform re the found infection.

Edge Browser was still showing large onscreen so I went to Settings and saw Zoom was at 500%. I decreased it to 100% and it's fine.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 17-02-2021 at 04:04 AM.

VoidMaster

Try another mouse, sounds to me like left (or right button if you are left handed) mouse button intermittently getting stuck on, if it does and you use scroll, the text gets larger or smaller, in Firefox anyway which I presume you are using, not sure about Edge.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

zqwerty
    Hi. I have another mouse or 3 here I can try but I honestly think it was the MS Keyboard that has problems. I have had it a few years and have noticed in the past 2 months that I am typing and as I do not look at screen and I send the message in FB Chat that where there should be a space between words there isn't a space and 2/3/4+ words are all run together. Same if I am typing in an email or here in Press F1. Its the Space bar is worn on the right side more than the left ( I'm a right thumb space bar user) so I figure that contact isn't being made when I press it. I now check what I have typed before I hit Enter and do any corrections/spaces as required.
    I sometimes use Ctrl and + to make text/pics in web pages larger so I can read/see what's there in the pic details even though Display Res is set at 1920x1080 and Scale and Layout is set to 100%. I reset using Ctrl/- when I done with the larger size.
    What I did notice the other day(before the problem reappeared) was that the Ctrl key had become jammed down after I had used it to enlarge onscreen text/image probably up to 200%-300%. I had to 'dig' it free. Maybe it is the MS KBrd that needs replacing. The Genius XScroll Optic mouse seems to be in good working order.
    It is when I connect the PS2 Kbrd that the Mouse again begins to be usable. Scratch my head on that one.
    Neither of the other 2 USB KBrds are usable. Last time this happened the MS KBrd was unusable, the Compaq one was fully usable (not this time) and the Mouse was usable with both the Compaq Kbrd and the Dell PS2 KBrd.
    Then, a few days latter I decided to try the MS KBrd again and it worked like a charm. Until all went to pot again yesterday morning @ say 11am (after I connected the USB Stick and formatted it ). Most peculiar goings-on.
    I will try the MS KBrd later today... it might come to life and not cause havoc..... I am considering buying a new USB 2/3 KBrd.
    Cheers.

Asus Prime B450M-A, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, GSkill FlareX 16GB DDR4 2933 Mhz ( running at 2400Mhz), Kingston A2000 M.2 NVMe 500GB SSD, Asus VP248 LCD Monitor, W10 x64 v20H2 Build 19042.804

well I be damned! I just reconnected the MS KBrd and its working perfectly.Howlong forIhave noidea.......Now THERE isan exampleofthenospaces between words.
    its working perfectly. How long for I have no idea....... Now THERE is an example of the no spaces between words.
    Here's a pic of the keys functioning when pressed

Name:	MS  KBRD NOW WORKING.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	10804

Both the MS KBrd and the Mouse are fully usable.
    This erratic functioning is frustrating
    Last edited by kiotimak; 17-02-2021 at 01:03 PM.

VoidMaster

Yes I was typing nonsense about the left click and scroll, of course it's ctrl + mouse scroll for Zoom in/out, perhaps the battery in your mouse or keyboard is on the way out if you have the type that uses batts?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

zqwerty
    Hi. Both Mouse and Keyboard hardware is wired, no batteries. But, as I have had the devices for 4-5 years and I mentioned the space bar's hit & miss behaviour maybe it's time for some new gear.
    These two appeal at the prices and the reviews are positive, taking with a pinch of salt

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/mic...l?lang=default
    Reading the description, this mouse may be a tad small for my hand. Don't really want a mouse that doesn't fill my cupped hand etc.

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/tec...oards=&start=1

Cheers.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 17-02-2021 at 06:27 PM.