Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The film "3 Mile Limit"

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    We us the radio in the car still, and when at home its mainly over the Internet, don't think we have a older style radio anymore. Actually Yes we do - just remembered its out in the workshop buried under a pile blankets but hasn't been on for years.
    We have an old upright valve radio from the early 20th century. It was going until a short while ago when it blew a valve and, unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to buy the valves any more. It receives AM and shortwave which was quite popular before FM and TV. It is a lovely piece of furniture 34" tall and 29" wide and 13" deep in veneer. It has a 12" speaker and has a lovely tone. (I used the old inches measurement because that's the age of the radio.) We also have a transistor radio which is on most of the time and a radio in the car and our motorhome, both of which are always on when we are on the road. I could not live without the music on the radio, but SWMBO does not mind if it is on or not.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Bear with me, I'm on the case.
    Sorry Roscoe, no luck with first contact. I'll be seeing another on weekend if you haven't already found a copy by then.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Sorry Roscoe, no luck with first contact. I'll be seeing another on weekend if you haven't already found a copy by then.
    Its all been sorted

I listen to the radio in my shed anytime i'm out there

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Its all been sorted
    Excellent.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Roscoe: There are several suppliers of Thermionic Valves for vintage radios such as in the link below.
    The cost including shipping needs to be considered. Due to it's age, your radio could use
    some work such as replacing old capacitors and carbon resistors to restore optimal performance.
    Link:https://mullard.org/collections/

Thank you for that Blanco. I will have a look later - not now, we are going away for the weekend.

Have you tried the Public library? They have lots of DVDs of NZ films.

I saw the film on big screen at Sky City Theatre approx 2 years ago. We owe those pioneers a big debt. I listen radio a lot -mainly RNZ National but switch to other stations for specific programs -including Hauraki .
    Lots of people listen to radio -not just Trades workers. . Who wants to be restricted to watching "reality" TV shows which dominate the screens?
    My Kitchen Riles -Havelock North or Ponsonby or The Bachelor -Dannevirke. as they run out of fresh ideas. Steady dumbing down of Society

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Have you tried the Public library? They have lots of DVDs of NZ films.

I saw the film on big screen at Sky City Theatre approx 2 years ago. We owe those pioneers a big debt. I listen radio a lot -mainly RNZ National but switch to other stations for specific programs -including Hauraki .
    Lots of people listen to radio -not just Trades workers. . Who wants to be restricted to watching "reality" TV shows which dominate the screens?
    My Kitchen Riles -Havelock North or Ponsonby or The Bachelor -Dannevirke. as they run out of fresh ideas. Steady dumbing down of Society
    Just to let you know that I watched the film (Wainui managed to obtain a copy for me) and was not very impressed. It was not very accurate. For example, they showed one of the crew calling "Mayday" when they hit the rocks, in a panicy voice. The crew member who made that call, Paul Lineman, made the call in a very calm voice. They did not have anyone playing any of the DJs or other members of the crew. They did say that they played tapes on board the ship but did not say that the programmes were recorded in Auckland - there were no DJs on the ship - flown over to the Great Barrier Island then taken out to the ship by launch. They were not dropped into the water as shown in the film. I could tell you a lot more inaccuracies but to get a much better and accurate account I would suggest that you read the book "The Shoestring Pirates."

you can download it through torrent