Default XBox 1 and installing / playing games

Hi.
    Asking on this matter to help a bus driver I know regularly on the route I take to and from town. He knows I play Computer games and today he told me that he had bought an XBox 1 from Amazon online shopping and he asked me about XBox 1 and Games. He bought a game on disc, a Sports game and said that when he puts the disc into the Xbox it starts "downloading". I said 'downloading?' some people say downloading when in fact they mean Installing.
    He says it showing it will take 1 hour. He has gone through those 'install' steps more than once.
    I have googled 'Installing game from disc to XBox 1' and found that since 2018 XBox doesn't play game direct from disc and when installing from disc the XBox downloads and installs Updates and Patches and they can be many many GB. So download time is dependent on Internet connection speed.
    He has XBox connected to his TV.
    One post was about Speeding up installing game from disc which basically is disconnecting from Internet, but, after the game is installed then it still has to have all the required updates and patches DL'd and Installed before the game will play.
    Presumably, the Game is being installed and saved to the XBox 1 1TB Internal HD.
    The guy only has Sports Games for his XBox and said he peed off because he has bought a Game Disc that will not play, 'not like they used to, put in the disc and away it went' he said.
    Anyone able to give me any pointers or advice I can pass on or research further?
    Cheers
    All the games I play are on PC. XBox and PS are alien to me.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 08-02-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: XBox 1 and installing / playing games

Yes the games have to be "installed" on the Xbox disk drive. If it's taking too long, it is possible there are 2 issues:

1) It's a mechanical HDD, so reading data from a disk and then writing it can take a while...

2) His Internet connection is to slow and the install is failing/retrying because of this...

I'm not a console person but those are common thing's I've seen from friends.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5GHz
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

Default Re: XBox 1 and installing / playing games

chiefnz
    hi and thanks. Sounds about right to me. I didn't ask him what his internet speed is but I did see a video guide re. Installing from disc, the game was a more modern game and it required about 9.51GB to be downloaded / installed. ETA went from 9 hours to almost 6 hours.
    Other possibilities are that he has not allowed the Download to complete, or XBox1 or its HD is faulty.
    I will get him up to date with that which I have learned & ask for more info when I see him again.
    cheers

vid on install game on XBox 1
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE