Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dominion Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dominion Day

If we are going to have a holiday for Waitangi Day, we should also have a holiday for Dominion Day on 26th September - the day in 1907 when New Zealand became a truly independent country. Public Servants had a holiday and all government offices were closed to mark the occasion.

These days law firms are closed on that day but they are about the only people who commemorate that special day. Most people do not even know about it which is a pity because it is such an important day in our history.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Dominion Day

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    If we are going to have a holiday for Waitangi Day, we should also have a holiday for Dominion Day on 26th September - the day in 1907 when New Zealand became a truly independent country.
    Oh get real. We have an extra day now...Matariki. Yay, and in that spot where there are no holidays for ages.
    I care not why or what it is, as most people don't.....you care about easter? Or Xmas? As in the religious sense?
    Nope, day off, celebrate or not, how you like, or not.

Likewise Waitangi day.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Oh get real. We have an extra day now...Matariki. Yay, and in that spot where there are no holidays for ages.
    Isn't it close to QB weekend?

Having to take 2 weeks off at Christmas is a right pain the proverbial, I would rather work and take the time off in Feb but my industry shuts down at Christmas. And on the subject of holidays why can't we celebrate the winter/summer solstice instead of Christmas it has far more importance than some quasi fictional characters birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    some quasi fictional characters birthday.
    Just because you don't believe does not make it fictional. All the major religions in the world believe in this "quasi fictional character's birthday" so I think that you are a little outnumbered.

Besides, you believe the year is 2021, don't you? Or do you have some other crazy idea that the vast majority of the world hasn't yet caught up with?

Whatever your belief, you can't go past the fact that something unusual happened in the then known world 2021 years ago and the majority of the world - just not you - has been celebrating this fact ever since. You're just a little behind the world's majority.

Having to take 2 weeks off at Christmas is a right pain the proverbial, I would rather work and take the time off in Feb but my industry shuts down at Christmas. .
    How backward. Does anyone do that now?
    Sons work shuts but not for that long...........so he still gets to take leave at other times.

As for xmas...who cares what it's called.
    For most kids it has nothing to do with some fictional guy way back when, it's about some fictional guy in a red suit at the North POle. Never told my son either lie.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    As for xmas...who cares what it's called. For most kids it has nothing to do with some fictional guy way back when, it's about some fictional guy in a red suit at the North POle. Never told my son either lie.
    Why do you say "some fictional guy way back when," when you know when it happened - 2021 years ago. And it's not a lie - it's history. It's a story recorded in all the religions of the world - millions upon millions of people, so it seems as though you are just a little bit outnumbered.

And so it seems that you don't have Christmas in your household. No Christmas Tree and no decorations? So I assume no Easter either. What a sad place you must live in. So what do you (or did you) tell your children when their friends at school told them all about the presents they received or lovely chocolate Easter Eggs they found. They must have had many questions to ask as to why their family was not the same as everyone else. They must have had such a deprived childhood. Poor children.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Why do you say "some fictional guy way back when," when you know when it happened - 2021 years ago. And it's not a lie - it's history. It's a story recorded in all the religions of the world
    No it isn't. Matthew, mark, Luke, JOhn all tell a tale and there are differences and contradictions in those tales too. All were written well after this fictional event.

The Romans, who kept many detailed records of all jews executed (along with others executed etc) have no record of such a person at all.
    Nowhere else is there any record whatsoever of this person, any of it.

Just because millions of people chose to believe a tale told by those wanting power, and it has persisted for ages, means nothing.

I could go on.

Yes I had a tree with my son for xmas. A tree that had it's origins from Germany not some religion in the middle east.
    He still didn't believe in red suit guys bringing gifts. Nor was he deprived.

And easter, chocolate, he didn't actually like chocolate much, but he got lollies then too. Without tales of rabbits and such
    Ex-pctek

too many holidays allready.

We should get rid of Queens bday hol & replace it with something more relevant .
    America's Cup day .
    Last edited by 1101; 09-02-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Having to take 2 weeks off at Christmas is a right pain the proverbial, I would rather work and take the time off in Feb but my industry shuts down at Christmas.
    I was fairly lucky in that regard. I worked for Telecom and we could take leave just about any time we wanted, so I would take the days off between Christmas and New Year so I could have two weeks off for five days leave, then take a couple of weeks later on in February with the family before the children went back to school.

Nowadays, being retired, we like to go on holiday after the schools have returned, in February and March and everyone is back at work. The weather is usually at it's best and the beaches and camping grounds are not so busy.