Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I Can Remember............

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I will be going back to electric once they have a decent range and are more affordable It also added a whole $5 a week to my power bill for my work commute.
    They are damn expensive.
    And worse....second hand ones are a waste of time, new batteries cost MORE than I have paid for a car except my last one.
    The latest cost me $8000. Less with tradein....

Who do they think can afford these things?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    thats about right. most ideas coming out of the green party are complete BS. unfortunately that works against real environmentalism.

And that is exactly the problem.

We now have a few genuine environmentalists who have been completely outnumbered and overrun by complete Dorks and there is little they can do about it.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Old guy

And how is it going to work with say 3 or 4 cars in a house hold which all need charging overnight so their owners can get to work in the morning. Or for those without off street parking. It is also interesting to note that the people making the rules are getting well above average salaries and will not be personally affected by them.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    And how is it going to work with say 3 or 4 cars in a house hold which all need charging overnight so their owners can get to work in the morning. Or for those without off street parking. It is also interesting to note that the people making the rules are getting well above average salaries and will not be personally affected by them.
    thats fairly typical.
    the last few labor/green ideas was to basically dump the cost onto poor people. eg poor people pay extra so rich people get cheaper ev's.

there was a mention of a certain wealthy suburb thats being told "no more ev's" because the street transformers etc would need upgrading.
    plus around here most houses are only 60 amp connections. try plugging in multiple ev's, cooking and heat pumps etc, its not going to work well.

at the moment if you have one ev, the drive to work is fairly short, then the charging is not a big issue.

but the big problem is nz is still fairly rural, so that limits EV's usage straight away. many people live a great distance from work so they are unlikely to use ev's.
    auckland for eg is far to spread out. its a huge city for its population.

ev's are great for short runs, reduce city pollution which is good.
    but the rest of the country will always need to use fuel.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Old guy

I suspect that the long term plan is price the ownership of private vehicles out of the reach of all but the rich. It is very noticeable that in the new subdivisions in Auckland that the streets are to narrow to allow parking and there is no garage either. If efficient public transportation is provided that is not going to be a problem however efficient, Auckland and transportation are not words that ever go together.

yeah they have morals higher than what the wallet can command.

i doubt they plan to price people out of vehicles, but thats what will happen.
    it seams like they are trying to do the whole euro village setup where you live just down the street, walk/bike to the market every day.
    Tweak it till it breaks

I’m expecting this “Green Religion/Sect” to start promoting “Perpetual Motion” soon, along with a Fart Tax of course.

Planet Saved, too easy.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I suspect that the long term plan is price the ownership of private vehicles out of the reach of all but the rich. It is very noticeable that in the new subdivisions in Auckland that the streets are to narrow to allow parking and there is no garage either. .
    Not everyone lives in a main centre.
    When I was in Wyndham there were no buses at all.

Sure in Invercargill...but not the rest.
    Even Auckland was rubbish.

I looked into buses when I was at Webdrive. If it was possible, it would have involved an hour and a half, 3 buses and a long walk in between each of them to do so. Trouble was last bus was 7pm and I finished at 7:30pm.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    What Shaw said is we need to chop down pine trees and plant natives, but then he said we need to replace coal boilers with ones that burn pine, the same pine he wants to get rid of.
    Native trees like Tane king of the forest, a Kauri that was here when Jesus was born. Now that's the way to go.

What are we going to do in the meantime, there was mention of more foresty going to !!, you guessed it, China of all places.

Good to see England wants to join our South Pacific free trade bunch!!, India would have been better, they worship cows so much trade there.

Gary,, what are they going to replace all those pine trees up your way with, ngai tahu have started and replaced their forests with dairy cows.

lurking.

You guys make it sound like someone is trying to force you to buy a brand new electric car or go without. It will take decades for all the cars around to be replaced and cheaper 2nd hand electric cars will eventually trickle down into the reach of people who can't afford what's available now. This is not a looming deadline where everyone has to abandon the cars they have. The infrastructure to charge them all will grow over time, and the technology will continue to improve. Meanwhile you can all keep driving your combustion engined vehicles for as long as you want. The ones currently being sold should be around for the next 20 years at least and they will keep making and selling them for a fair few years yet.
    The dates they are proposing to stop allowing petrol powered cars to be sold new here are still years away.

I can't fathom why so many people are so determined to dislike electric cars, especially having never even driven one or tried to live with it for any length of time. They have their problems - price, range, charge time, power capacity from the grid, but nothing that can't be solved over time. Meanwhile they are quieter, have fewer moving parts, are mechanically very reliable, and can outperform petrol cars easily. And all this after just over a decade or so of serious development compared to over a century with the combustion engine. Sure some scenarios don't work with the current crop of EV's, but that'll change.

Also for most 3-4 car households it's unlikely many will need to charge every one of them every night. Do you fill your petrol tank on the way home from work every night? Do you feel the need to always have a full tank of gas? Even with a 2013 nissan leaf with 75% battery capacity which is probably the worst example of an EV we will see in the future I only needed to charge once or twice a week for my daily commute, in a car with 5 times the range which is likely to become the norm it won't be an issue for the majority of households.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070