Default Windows 10 inbuilt Defender/Firewall or Third Party?

Hi.
    The question is, Is the protection supplied by Windows Defender and Firewall good enough for me to use or should I use a 3rd Party AV and Firewall?
    I have Bitdefender Total Security 2020 and its due renewal for another year protection in 5 days. The cost is $126.00.
    I can pay that tonight but what hacks me off is that when I click to Renew I get taken to a Bitdefender Webpage that says "Get 60% Discount" YAY that be just dandy!
    BUT reading down the webpage it states the 60% Discount is for NEW First time buyers. And there is nowhere on the webpage for me to click ...unless its the 'Buy Now' tab I have to click.
    Bitdefender sent me an email today saying they tried to renew my subscription a couple days ago but it failed. Yeah it failed because the Bank Card of mine it has on file is no longer usable. I closed that Bank account and opened with another Bank.
    I tried to 'Add another bank card' in my personal account details and it wouldn't. I had been trying to do that for past 2 months, emailed Bitdefender and asked why I couldn't change my Bank Card details and never received any replies.
    I just emailed them and told them I have updated my payment method/card details and again asked about the 60% Discount that isn't.
    Anyway, that's not the issue.
    Will I be safe enough with Win Defender and Firewall?..... or...???
    I could revert to using Comodo IS that I have and its FREE! hee hee.... I recall getting pulled here over my using Comodo IS about 18-24months ago.

What's the advice please, peeps.

Some pics of the Bitdefender 'thingymajiggy'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BITDEFENDER.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	10775 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BITDEFENDER 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	10776 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BITDEFENDER 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	10777

Default Re: Windows 10 inbuilt Defender/Firewall or Third Party?

Most people dont need a 3rd party firewall . Just use the MS Win Firewall .

Viruses can get past ALL AV programs, both free & paid for.
    so.....

AVG/Avast : avoid like the plague
    MS Defender : MS's various AV's over the many years have been very hit & miss.
    McAfee : their reputation is trashed. Not as bad as it once was . Now owned by Intel ?
    Symantec/Norton : their reputation is trashed. Not as bad as it once was .
    Nod32 AV : its reliable. Will detect & block suspect websites , will scan incoming email . EASY TO FIND & READ THE LOG's , unlike most other AV programs .
    Bitdefender free version: have it on one of my PC's. Very basic & some minor bugs . Unlike other freebee AV , it doesnt constantly nag you to buy the full version or nag you to buy addons.
    Some other AV programs use Bitdefenders engine .
    Malwarebytes . I use it often to cleanup infections on customers PC's . Im not sure how good it is as a stand alone AV , its very good at malware removal though.

If changing AV , I would recommend an AV that has built in Email scanning , unless you only use webmail.
    Last edited by 1101; 18-01-2021 at 04:46 PM.

I dont like the all in 1 , all dancing all singing, do everything Internet Security programs . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I dont like the all in 1 , all dancing all singing, do everything Internet Security programs . :-)
    Agree with that ( as well as the ones you listed as TRASH)

Personally been using Eset for years, Also Sell It, Can honestly say very few customers have any problems with it, and when doing yearly health checks, you can easily see when its stopped infections (as 1101 Mentioned the logs are easy to read and get to)

They have Basically two versions.
    1. Antivirus only
    2. Antivirus and Firewall. ( the firewall I set to interactive mode- NOTHING gets in or out without you knowing about it)

(3). The Business version which I use.

Eset does scan emails where as some others don't, it also blocks dangerous sites automatically as well as many self injecting redirects.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Personally been using Eset for years,
    2. Antivirus and Firewall. ( the firewall I set to interactive mode- NOTHING gets in or out without you knowing about it)

+1

Until I swapped to Linux, I used this as well. Excellent product.
    Ex-pctek

Hi and thanks.
    Avast and AVG I gave up on 10-15 year ago. Norton I had but gave it up, too complicated and was a resource hog, always Updating too. POTA.
    I started with Bitdefender free Trial and liked it so I bought the 2020 Total Security almost a year ago. I find it easy to use and it does a great job. If it quarantines an exe I can recover it.
    I tried Nod32 10 year ago. I found it difficult for me to get a grip on. Having said that, about 15-18 month ago I bought Eset IS and after a week or two was completely in the dark and it kept whipping away a game exe I had and there was NO WAY Jose that I could get it back Grrrrrrrrr so it had a short lifetime defending me.
    I do like BitDefender and have gotten a hold of it. Does a great job. Kinda suits my way and knowledge.
    I have a few days so I will consider maybe Bitdefender AV only and use Win Firewall.
    My Email is gmail. I don't know if Bitdefender scans incoming, or outgoing.
    Cheers

wainuitech
    Hi and thanks. I have to go out on bus in 5 mins so will get back here when home from shopping in 2 hours.
    Cheers

I bought Eset IS and after a week or two was completely in the dark and it kept whipping away a game exe I had and there was NO WAY Jose that I could get it back
    Eset only Quarantines items like that, not delete. You simply go into the Quarantine option and put it back, as well as telling it to ignore that file in the future.

All these options can be easily found on a google search. The reason its detecting all the time is there's something dodgy in it that it doesn't like.

Same thing at my Wifes work, one of the web sites they go to (for Actual daily work) the way the site is designed Eset blocks all access, so you have to create a rule to allow access to the site and exclude it from blocking.

End of the day use what ever you're happy with. NOTHING is perfect, but some are really BAD and trash.

Of the AV's I commonly see , Eset AV is by far the easiest to use/deal with : ie whitelist files , check logs , check quarantine & restore files etc.
    Ive Installed Nod32 on hundreds of PC's , very few issues .

The only thing that Nod is awefull at, it cant update itself to the newest version , on the Commercial Endpoint AV .
    It cant even automatically do the necessary version update from v7 to v7.3 , you had to redownload & re-install the newer version.

Stick with Bitdefender if you're happy with that . Im sure it would be as good as Nod .

The only thing that Nod is awefull at, it cant update itself to the newest version , on the Commercial Endpoint AV .
    Weird, mine updates the modules all the time. Mind you I do have the update agent on one of my own servers and pushes that out to the various computers so it doesn't download the same file multi times.

I've been to customers places and OFTEN Eset will have popped up a message relating to upgrades and most ignore it, even though the wording is VERY obvious as to what its asking.