Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows Update 15 Jan 2021

Last night about 9.45 I was closing the computer for the night and had messages about an update. I chose the "update and close down" option, switched off the monitor and went to bed. At about 6.30am it was still updating but with 100% complete. after my shower it was still the same, so I rebooted, the n it said: "We couldn't complete the updates, removing changes." What is happening?

VoidMaster

Default Re: Windows Update 15 Jan 2021

Type "winver" without the quotes into taskbar search and post back the result here.

This is to see what version your computer is updated to at present.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Well that's an open Question How long is a piece of string. ?

With no info its impossible to say.

Try looking in the Eventviewer Expand Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdateClient\Operati onal look to see if there's any errors, if there is what are they ( Either a screen shot or copy/paste word for word).

Another way, In Search type in Power Shell -- Run as Administrator Type in or copy paste Get-WindowsUpdateLog Press the Enter key, it will produce a readable log file on your desktop, that will tell you what failed.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-01-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks zqwerty,

"winver" results:
    Windows 10
    Version 2004 (Build 19041.685)

VoidMaster

I think your version is out of date.

Latest is Windows 10 version 2009, and it has a build number of 19042.572 also known as the 20H2 update.

It's likely that your computer has failed to achieve this update.

Wait and see if it manages the next time before doing anything drastic.

Win 10 has a history of going round in circles on some updates and some computers and never managing to update successfully, it repeats this cycle about 2 to 3 times a week until informed intervention takes place. Each time it does this it uses about 3-4 gigs of your internet allocation so that is one of the reasons to stop this from happening. Also your computer can be quite sluggish while the downloading and failed updating is taking place.

But first you need to be certain that this is happening before taking further steps.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

VoidMaster

Here's more info on the update and how to see if your computer is ready for this update and then how to achieve that:

https://www.howtogeek.com/684812/wha...ing-fall-2020/

Make sure your essential important data is backed up on memory devices other than the offending computer.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post

But first you need to be certain that this is happening before taking further steps.
    This is exactly why I mentioned earlier to look at the log files. Otherwise its only guess work.

The reason the updates fail is often due to system Corruptions. ( the log files would show this as I mentioned)

Got a Customers Computer here at the moment working on over the weekend. The updates were failing week after week and running like a car with 4 flats and the handbrake on .

When I go t it, the first thing to do.

Open a CMD , run as Admin -- Type in sfc /scannow it sometimes finds corruptions and fixes them ( there will be a message saying so if it does) or it will say didn't find any. In this case, ran it found and repaired faults, then reboot. When rebooting instantly updates started installing, re run SFC, no errors this time. Noticeably faster right away.

Then ran windows updates, the previous option to upgrade to 20H2 wasn't there but is now.

This is a direct upgrade from 2004 to 20H2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	10774

I'm letting the other updates install first, then will reboot and THEN allow 20H2 to download and install.

SO try running sfc /scannow first, if you have corruptions and it doesn't fix them then theres other commands to use.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-01-2021 at 01:48 PM.

Wifes laptop still hasn't had the May 2020 update due to having the conexant audio driver. Laptop still works just fine though despite being out of date.

I have run power shell, and got the update log. Earlier today it had 16 reports, all but the last one had 10 items, will the last having 6. I have also run sfc/scannow, which has given me the same message 14 times! it is: "There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart windows." After this I ran PowerShell again, got 17 reports, 16 with 10 items, and the last with 3. It looks like progress, I will log out now and rescan. Is this normal?